BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender - Serenity progress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can't believe it! I think I have had my unfinished boat (shell) for over 5 years in the garage, possibly 7...not sure. Is this a record? Anyway, I did some work on it initially, and haven't touched it in the past two years...until this winter (many large home improvement projects). I am finally moving along. I have the seats in, the cabin just about done, the storage box, cabin hatches, etc. Just about ready to fiberglass.

To those whom find themselves in my position....JUST DO IT! It is amazing how fast you progress when you just start working on it. Don't wait until you have "some free time" or til "summer". I have a four year old and just had another baby, I have several home improvement projects I am working on, just rewired my entire (plaster) house, kayak, sail, fish and golf almost weekly, work 45 hours a week, pick up at least one of the kids at daycare every day, watch both kids two evenings a week while the wife is in college getting her masters, after working her professional job all day, taking the four year old to her sports, etc. You get the idea. Just "Git-R-Done."

Also, I am really excited. I regularly sail small boats (lazer, sunfish, flying scott, finn, flying juniors, etc.). I am sailing in Port Huron, MI this week in a race on a bigger sailboat to assess my skills for the Port Huron to Mackinaw Race this summer. It is a pretty big and long race. This is a first for me. Very excited. I better brush up on my sailboat lingo before then. Typically 100,000 people show up for "boat nite" on the eve of the race. It used to be almost 300,000 before the police tightened things down.
Jeff that sounds like you'll have a great time being part of such a large event. Good luck with it.
I also built my boat between other things. It took me almost 5 years exactly from the time I layed the keel to my launch. I started the first day of autumn 2000 and launched Sept 3 2005. It was a lot of word and I'm glad it's finally seaworthy. I'm ready to build another though, this time for someone else who can foot the bill and pay me to do it.

Keith
I was going to deliver a boat back to Chicago from MacKinaw last year after the Mac but the logistic issues to get there were a nightmare. I could ride a bus there in the same amount I could fly and then take a HORSE DRAWN taxi from the airport to the boat. Confusedhock: Confusedhock: I opted out. However, I have stayed in touch with the guy and we have since become virtual friends.... ain't the net grand. Been thinking of getting back into doing some deliveries... maybe this fall as soon as 'cane season is over. Lots of boats from here go south for the winter, many are delivered by professional crew to where ever the owner is wintering.

Glad to hear about the boat, I knew you were cooking because of your progressive posts. Keep after it, let me know how I can help. Good on ya. Have fun in MacKinaw!