BYYB Forums

Full Version: In the words of Cap'n Roland...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"It's a boat, not a piano!"

I decided to go with 'Interlux--Bristol Biege" instead of two part decking. It's all beige! K.I.S.S.....my plate is piled HIGH with other stuff and I gotta get Fat Chance to the water. The other thing I noticed, is after 5 years and 3 coats of paint, the walnut hulls are becoming somewhat bearable. This may be the first year I take the ol gal sailing and don't have some form of road rash when I return....HA! I always returned looking like I had been in a "mini-bike" wreck.... use Interdeck instead of walnut shells... you heard it from "Road-Rash"! HA!

Yes, there are bugs stuck to it... I just finished the top coat at 10:30 p.m. ....outside... conditions will never be PERFECT.... that is why you have 80 grit....AAARRGH! It's time to go sailing.

Not launching Wind-rose for another month..... going to Italy...can you believe it... county goes to another contintent... my pal is teaching there and she says she is "swallowing the hooK" after this summer... so it is now or never.....it's done, passport and ticket... I still ain't crazy about it...

Back to Fat Chance.... she has been the traditonal...cream and dark brown decks, green hull, 1" red boot stripe just above red bottom paint.... I'm thinking Britol Biege decks/ cockpit/interior and then maybe a CRANBERRY hull and a 1/4" red cove stripe below her new toe rail..... then maybe a gold boot stripe.

Here is what I am certain of.... I will use Interlux paint....not the porch paint I have left from the last time... done with that!
SouNds like fat chance is getting quite the make-over.

i LOVE ITALY -- my sister married a nice italian family and i go there as often as i can it is a hARD place nOT to lOVE....in the south they don't do things very quickly but hey - whats the hurry. ROME is a little like New York City...except safer and more mellow...but it is mY fAvOrite destination --- and if you try even just a little to speak something that sounds like italian, people go out of their way to help you.

i'm GREEN with ENvY - i just lOVe it there and my niece was just born there (actually my brother lives in Kiev and he and his wife went to Rome to have the baby) --- italy is great.

a.

Adam Plourde

I tried the sandblast agregate thing at first. Way too rough. Used a heatgun and a paintscraper to get it all off. Play sand, though, is cheap, effective, attractive, and easy on the knees. Highly recommended.
Everybody I've spoken too that knows I am going to Italy.... says they LOVE it.... it will be the first time I have been to Europe. I guess you would call me somewhat excited, yet hesitant. At the same time, what the heck.... I've been learning just enough Italian... basically AN IDIOT WITH A WILL... I figure God helps IDIOTS/fools and drunks. I hear Italy's wine does not have sulfites/sulfates (my chemistry days are long behind me), I will fit into all of God's protective catogories....AAAARRRGH!

I am headed for Florence... they tell me it is lovely.

I put Interlux Topside Burgandy on the ol gal today... I am still going out at 11:30 to oogle her and can still see a sheen.... why did I ever put porch paint on.... the paint laid out beautifully, rolled and tipped... I was thinking it would be more red but is really more plum colored, it looks great with the beige. I actually think the boat looks bigger with one part deck paint. It is nice and refreshing. The cushions won't look as good, but I never drag them out anyway.... I have all the cushion I need and I always think less is more.
Good news Angie, I'm happy that you get to go. Of course this means you get to take pictures for us all. Yeah Angie! 8)

Back when I was putting the first deck coat of paint on the Aurorawolf, in Fairbanks, we were being tasked by a multi-million acer forest fire. Big fire driven winds over the valley, changing direction all the time. I was just climbing down off the ladder and felt one of the those sudden changes in the wind.

I looked up into the strong breeze, knowing I was facing the direction of the fire. I could see the smoke boiling towards me, it had been a gamble, and I lost. One of those things, when your in a hurry to go sailing. Wait for perfect weather or just go for the work boat finish. Dang smoke was going to drive me inside, and I would just have to hope for the best with that wet paint.

As I was making for the front door, I noticed that dark cloud had got aweful close in a big hurry. I had only seen the likes in a movie, where the plague of locust was descending on the crops. Except this swarm included bees, wasps, ants, flies, mosquitoes, nats, grass hoppers, beatles, lady bugs and any thing else on wings. I made it inside, but the Wolf got her first coat of grit. :wink:

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

I was out to the homestead today, to give the Nathayla, the twin-keeler, a little attention. Cleaning never stops and I need to build a new trailer for her, but I don't want to fork out the cash just yet. Yes, it's true that I told Joan, I was going for the lawn mower :lol:

Then I got weak, looking at all those goodies, not being used.

Well heck, I swear, I'll put it back on the Islander23, but I need to clean it up, and maybe I could test it on the Wolf, were just a few of the justifications.

Guilt ran through me, I felt like a wrecker, as I snatched the fancy main sheet pully/block and clam cleat set up. Forget what you call it, but I sure know what to use it for. No more sitting on the main sheet or stepping on it to hold the dang thing off. It took all I had to keep from unbolting the stainless steel travler from the aft deck. :twisted:

I must remember restoration, not salvage, no more parts stealing. :roll:

Later back home, while inspecting the bow of the Vacationer, I noticed a split running long-ways on the bottom of my bow sprit. Some of that side ways action from the furling sail, I think.

I've been wanting to extend the bowsprit to ten feet anyway, so I cut one down out of a 4x4 with the old power planer. Fast work. Left the bow sprit wide though, all that stick out there, I want something the big guy can stand on. I'll take a pic, when I get it fitted.

Okay, Okay, so I lied! I also snuck off with the Islanders jib, it is twenty feet long and will fit perfectly in that space I've gained for my new fore sail. :wink: That stinky roller furler is out if I can help it :lol: I'll raise the new sail with a pully and down haul run back to the cockpit.

Also on the ten foot oar project, I made my final lamination. I might get out the power planer and do some shaping in the morning. I feel like a chainsaw sculptor with that monster.

Well that's my update, Angie. When you go to Italy, be sure to post 'good by' and how long you'll be gone. And don't forget the pictures.

Mike
Mike, just consider it a loan.... what the heck. You better take some photos so you can remember what went where. :lol: :lol: Actually, when it comes time let me know what you need. We have a couple of good salvage places here. Sounds like Wolf is getting her own make over.... sailing season will be on you before you know it... I suppose you have Wolf dug out of the snow bank now.

I could relate to your smoke and grit story. First was the oak tags, then the maple tags and now the black locust are dropping their blooms. What the heck, I gotta go sailing. We have had some perfect days. I have my little power boat in the water but that is just not the same as harnessing the wind and getting the boat to go where you want her to.

It rained last night and is supposed to rain late this evening so I want to go get another coat on now so it can get tacky before the weather shifts. Barometer is flat line now, so I have some time. It won't be long now. Smile
I've been test flying the two foresails all morning, I think it will work, but I'll be needing crew. Sure looks a lot nicer. ( the boat's strapped down) :roll:

Can't find my camera, forgot where I hid it :lol:

Getting psyched up to rough shape the oars, I need more tools, like a draw knife and a spoke shave. That dang power sander is kind of permanent, real quick like.

Well, hear goes :wink:
WAHOO! Let'er rip, it's just wood and thankfully they are still growing trees... at least for a while. :lol:

"I cut it three times and it is still too SHORT!" AAARRGH! :lol: 8)