BYYB Forums

Full Version: OT - Flagpole Halyard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I finally have the base for my new flagpole installed and am waiting for the cement to completely cure before installing it.

For the flag itself, I have seen a weighted ring, much like a mast hoop attached to the bottom of the flag - does anyone have any experience with making something like this themselves?

This has also got me thinking about mast hoops for the weekender - if I made them in a similar fashion so that the ring would be held perpendicular to the mast then perhaps they would go up and down easier and not jam?
Tie a line between each hoop at the same length as the grommets on the front side of the mast (attach the top hoop to a line attached to the bridle of the gaff jaws). This makes the hoops ride up parallel to each other as the sail is raised and keeps them from binding.
The flag pole is up and my method for rings is working great. I made two loops of light chain rather bigger than the pole and attached clips to them that then clip on the top and bottom of the flag. I attached the halyard to the top ring and the flag goes up and down as nice as you could ask - even when it gets tangled up. The other advantage of this method is that I can put up whatever size of flag I want. The weight of the rings seems to do a good job of keeping the flag well displayed and there is surprisingly little noise as well.

[Image: flag1.jpg]
Sorry Andrew, I thought you were talking about on your boat. :lol: Looks like it works great.

You guys doing anything to "secure your borders", we might all come running at the state things are going around here. We are sending out the National Guard for border control, that is... the ones King George isn't sending to IRAQ/IRAN or Venenzuela next! If Hayden and his goons are spying on me hope they see which finger am I holding up! Confusedhock: :roll: :!:
Generally we're not too worried about you guys coming North. Most of the noise we hear is about closing things down and locking all us undesirables out along with our mad cows and cheap lumber. You seem to still like our oil and natural gas though.

With the new passport regulations it's even going to be tough for an American to visit Canada. We'll let you up here with no problem, but you might have a challenge getting back.

We also still clearly remember the War of 1812 so we do keep a careful eye on what's going on there. I don't know if we'd have British help now - but then again, you guys probably won't have the French on your side either. It's interesting talking with Americans about that war - it seems we have completely different history books :?

I had to laugh when I was down to Cheasapeake for the mega-regata my route took me right past the NSA offices. I don't "think" they thought I was part of an invasion force with my Canadian flag flying from the back of the Jeep and loaded down with supplies but an SUV with dark windows did follow me for an hour or so :wink:
That would be the Men in Black. Any black helos in sight?
It would be funny if it weren't so TRUE! Confusedhock:

We are so desperate for cheap oil we are crawling back in bed with Libya... one of the most rogue nations in the entire world, a %$#@*&^ hot bed of terrorist.... how is that for the "war on terror"?. Go figure! :roll:

I'm getting down off my soap box, I'll get so fired up I'll be obsessing about the state of things all day. Let's just say I can't wait until mid-terms. I think the Grand Oil Party is in for a long needed rude awakening.... not that the Dems are offering up much either. I find I am more and more for a third party.... my beliefs are more and more Libertarian, but at this point you can't throw your vote away on a third party...
Quote: I find I am more and more for a third party.... my beliefs are more and more Libertarian, but at this point you can't throw your vote away on a third party...

THIRD party?

Last election up here - I had 6 or 7 parties to choose from, plus an indipendent or two.

(Which explains why we presently have a Minority Government...) Wink
I thought it rather odd that suddenly things swung so far to the right? Our media made it to sound like you were following the US in it's puritanical take over of the world.... and that you guys were right behind us Confusedhock: :roll:

J Stephen Mustico

Quote:I don't "think" they thought I was part of an invasion force with my Canadian flag flying from the back of the Jeep and loaded down with supplies but an SUV with dark windows did follow me for an hour or so

They were thinking "those canadian Hum Vs' Sure look funney!"

Stephen
Pages: 1 2