BYYB Forums

Full Version: Volvo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
WOW! Yesterday they shut down a span of the bay bridge and let pedistrians walk the 5 miles across it.... that was pretty fantastic in and of itself. It was a glorious day. To add to it, the Volvo boats set off for New York and they had to round a mark just off the south side of the middle bridge span. Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

They set the course, there must have been 500 spectator boats anchored to either side. Just as the gun goes off, (they started them off of a Coast Guard cutter mid bay) the wind takes a drastic shift. 4 of the boats head right over into the spectator fleet to get a better rhumb line, that was thrilling in and of itself. To see them manuever these boats thru a fleet of boats, I mean LOTS of boats!

They head up to the mark and we were right above it, it was like being in a helicopter just above them. You could hear the skipper calling the commands, see the grinders grinding and watch the fearless bowman doing his thing. They rounded and then set the spinakers for a run down the bay to the open ocean. Really made you appreciate the work of the crews. It was thrilling. I admit I was glad I was on the bridge rather than in the spectator fleet... I would have been "pucker factor" 10! Confusedhock:

Here is an article and a shot of the boats up in the spectator fleet. YIKES! The spectator fleet was this thick for miles down the bay.
http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?Nid=23677

Lots more photos at the bottom of the page if anyone is interested.
ABN 1 takes another leg. Looks like they are the best in all types of air.

POTC moved up,as it finished second for this leg. Smile

FWIW, next Volvo the hulls are going to be a one design and each team will design the keel, rigging and sails. Should make it really interesting. Smile
Wow thats some crowded water! Why didn't you take Fat Chance out there? You could have tested the bowsprit strength and given us an estimate on how fast you have to be going to sink a plastic boat. I think I would have stayed on the bridge as well!

Keith
I would be afraid it would be the other way around. :oops: I would have been very nervous even in Wind-rose, that is way too much traffic for me. Some of my most anxious moments and close calls have been in marinas. There are LOTS of high $$ boats around here, some with very new skippers.... keeping up with the Jones.

Once I pulled out of the slip, you gotta understand the marina probably has 1500 boats all packed in like cored wood, I give one long blast and start to easy my bow into the fairway. Here comes a big power boat at half throttle. I had to back down hard, and then go clean my pants, to keep from T boneing the guy. The boat had a big For Sale sign on it, some asshole without a clue was out taking it for a test run.... half throttle in the no wake zone!

Wind-rose weighs in close to 9000#, even with a little way on she has a lot of momentum and does not stop on a dime. Often you can't drive a pin in my bum until I reach the jetty and see open water. The gal likes room to stretch her legs. :lol:
ABN TWO has lost a man.... :? scroll down to the bottom of the page to the related story section....I feel horrible for the boys on the boat.
That's really sad news. It's even worse knowing it could have been prevented with harness and jackline. I know many of us hasgone forward without safety devices but we should all learn a lesson from this tragedy. Wear you PFD's folks and if you're sailing offshore harness yourself to the boat when leaving to cockpit or sailing at night.

Keith
I think he probably had on a harness as it is standard prodecure on those boats. I doubt he would be out trimming the spinaker in those kinds of seas without one. The force of a 16'-20' wave can rip you right out of your harness.... regardless, it is a sad day for the family and for the team mates.
Are you guys keeping up? ABN TWO had to resue Movistar's crew when they were forced to abondon ship due to keel problems. ABN TWO still had Hans down in the hold somewhere. YIKES! It all sounds too surreal. Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

http://www.bymnews.com/new/content/view/29646/48/
Keith, it has come to light that you were right. Hans was the only man on deck not wearing his harness.... with a wife and two young kids at home. Stupid, very stupid.... he paid the ultimate price.

Evidently, Movistar was not scuttled and is adrift somewhere with all her instruments, etc.... boy, wouldn't that be a salvors prize. Confusedhock: Tongue
Brutal,

I have not been following this bought of the VOR as closely as previous races, but when I read this I was deeply saddened.

When you spend your whole life sailing and learing to perfect your technique's, have made sailing/racing your carreer, and have been around the world before, it hits hard to see you're still as vulnerable to Mother nature as anyone else. She is a great equalizer.

I feel bad for his wife and daughter, not to metion the crew's of ABN Ambro one & Two.
Pages: 1 2