BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Seagull Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finaly got all the parts I needed to put my Seagull back togather. Put in fresh gas and it won't start. After not running for over 2 years I guess the points are corroded. Now my question, how do I get to the points? What do I take off and how? A lawnmore engine I can handle but this :oops:
Ed, loosen the big nut on top of the fly wheel (probably need to spray some PB Blaster on it and let it soak for a few minutes). It turns anti clockwise. Then remove the starter pulley plate. You can get to the point in the holes of the magneto. You will need a helper if you decide to remove the entire flywheel.
Following Scott's suggestion I checked for a spark and had one. When I removed the float bowl I discovered that the carborator intake was gummed up with corrosion. Tomorrow it is off to buy some carb cleaner.
Ed, if it's been a few years since you last ran the engine and you didn't "run 'er dry" before storage, she'll be varnished up pretty good. Old fuel will leave a gummy bunch of deposits all over everything and it should be cleaned off.

Remove the carb, dissemble it and clean it out with a mild cleaner like "Gum out". Don't use the industrial strength cleaners, they'll eat up the gaskets, rubber pieces and make life harder for you. Pay special attention to all jets, orifices, the bowl and venturi areas. When clean, toss a rebuild kit on it (new gaskets, etc.) and return it to it's proper place on the engine after setting all the particulars.

Fuel lines, check valves and petcocks will also suffer this same fate, if fuel is left standing in them. Don't use starting fluid on these engines, just premixed fuel or carb cleaner in an aerosol can (very little) if she needs a shot or two to prime things up.

When storing the engine for a long time (a couple of months or more) run the engine out of fuel by closing the petcock, or dumping all the fuel in the bowl and fuel lines. If fuel remains in the tank, use a fuel stabilizer additive or remove it too.
Ed, glad you solved your problem. They are very simple little engines, which is one of their many charms. Get into the habit of closing the fuel valve and running it dry at the end of each use or you will forever be cleaning that bowl and screen.

The other trick I found about those old engines is they don't like to run for long periods at low idle... If you are going to do this, open it up periodically to burn the carbon off the plug to keep it from fouling. I usually carry an extra plug with me (actually, I duct taped one to the underside of the throttle handle so it is there if I need it).
Interesting way of keeping engine "spares" close at hand Angie. Ed you may want to "de-carbonize" the powerhead while you're at it. Simply unbolt the finned plate the spark plug screws into and clean out the carbon that will be collected on the piston top and combustion chamber. Angies's right, these engines run a very rich fuel mixture and it can foul a plug and combustion chamber easily. Clear it out as the plug tries to foul with a quick "blip" or two, of the throttle. Heavier carbon build up can be mostly cleared out with several minutes of flat out operation (under load, pushing the boat) in most cases.
After not being able to get the motor to start using all the advice I have been given I asked a friend that does chainsaw maintenance to drop by and take a look at it. He changed the angle of the fuel line, took off the air intake and held his hand over the carb opening and the motor started with two pulls. He said that the way the choke is made it does not allow enough raw gas to enter the cylender to start with. I had bought a new choke and air intake assembly when my son broke the old one, maybe the hole in the new choke is larger.
Thats great news Ed. Guess this means you will be spending the weekend on the water with us at the Sailstice. You have a boat, a motor and you'll have sails soon. What else do you need?

Keith
Ed That is my consept exactly, try every thing you can think of make as big a mess as you can then call someone who knows what they are doing to fix it. Been there done that Bud Smile