BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender bottom and keel fit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Tom erhart

Hi boat guys and gals. Iam very new at thisand hope that it works. My name is Tom Erhart Milan illinois. (boogiedude).Iam building a weekender and have run into a problem getting the bottom to fit the keel. If i add up all the inches for the bottom as in the plans on page 6 they total 157".This is exactly what my finished bottom measures. Now the distance along the top of the keel from the stern block to the stem including the 1 3/4" slot cut into the stem equals 155 3/4"Should i leave the bottom alone and cut a deeper slot in the stem? Or leave the keel alone and cut off more of the bottom bow end?(will the bow gussets still fit right?)Or should i just get a new brain because iam sure iam missing something very simple. BTW i did not actually try to fit the parts. I just took the measurments. I also will need 3/8" extra space for the transom. Whew!! this was long.[/i]
Welcome aboard Tom! I'm glad you decided to join us. I wish I could help you with your problem but I don't have the weekender plans. Keep watching though because I'm sure someone will come to your aid quickly. You might check past postings and find the answer to your problem has already been addressed. Meanwhile have a look around and the different pages we have her including the photo albums and the fine articles in Gaffrig Magazine, a publication that is made by our members which we are very proud of. Please continue to post messages, questions and updates on your progress. You should also try to attend some of the gatherings of the other members in your area. There's no better incentive to build a boat than to sail aboard a sister ship.

Keith
Welcome Tom,
Don't panic. You have the Station 13 blues. Follow this link and study the drawings posted. You are not alone, lots of others have been there too. Easily fixed and you can move right along. :roll: :lol:

http://www.messing-about.com/forum/viewt...station+13
Tom, welcome aboard. Did you cut off the little pointed end at the front of the sole? If you have already cut the point off you will want to make any further adjustment along the stern of the sole. The bow of the sole, with the point cut off, should be the same width as the keel in order for the bow gussets and sides to attach properly.

Rob McKinney

Hi Ton where is Milan? I'm in Des Moines...keep Plugging away...As I remember the bottom gets shorter as you attach it to the keel wth the curve
Highly likely Barry is right. Very easy mistake that many of us made, including myself. 157" - 155 3/4" = 1 1/4".

Re-layout stations 9-14 in fig. 4 of your plans for the bottom, then recut the batten lines and the transom curve. The difference in length must come off the transon end. Easy enough fix.

Tom erhart

Thanks guys.Its early A.M. and iam having coffee and reading these posts.Soon ill go out to the garage and fix it. Ill let you know. Milan is on the Mississippi straight across from Davinport Iowa.

Tom erhart

Well i made the corrections and now it fits. Again thank you all for your help.
Tom
Glad you got it worked out Tom. Hope we can continue to help in the future and send us some notes on you progress as you go along. I don't know what's planned in your area with the group but you should try to join up with some of the other folks there. Maybe even host yourself a boatshed and get some of the guys to lend you a hand getting her built. Good luck

Keith