BYYB Forums

Full Version: Blue & White Burgee of the BYYB flies over Conestoga Lak
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Bob_Burgess

Yes I launched my weekender Dreamcast 902 for another year.

The boat should be in the shipyard for repairs :x to the keel and missing turnbuckle that shot across the deck from my last sailing adventure, not to mention painting and general cleanup.

But no, three years behind the ship’s wheel and now I need to know how my new tiller will perform. :? Charged up my two batteries for the electric motor attached all my sails back on the boat and I am ready to roll.

6:00 am Sunday morning jump in the truck and find out got no trailer lights! :oops: Bummer, can’t fix so it’s the back roads to the lake. Gate was open, paid my fee and I ready to launch. It was a beautiful morning and had the lake to myself. Now being this was the first trip out this year I bought my ladder to get in and out of the boat when getting weekender ready to sail, wow I am bringing the ladder every time no more scrapping my knees on the deck.
I also installed some pulleys to lower and raise the jib from the cockpit, plus my new tiller.
Winds where were light to start but before long the lake had 1-2 ft waves and there where some terrible gust that scared me (water still freezing cold), I lowered the main and sailed with the jib only. I was quite surprises how fast I could go with just the jib.
All was going well sailing with the wind and waves until of course you run out of lake and have to head back into the wind. I turned on the electric motor and at full throttle could barely make headway. Took a while but beated towards the lee of the land and eventually made it across the lake and could turn back up into the wind. About an hour & 1/2 at full throttle and I made it back to a nice protected cove and dropped anchor. Took a break inside the cabin, needed to warm up a bit, wind was cold coming across the lake.
Tiller worked great instant response compared to the ships wheel and you know exactly at what angle the rudder is in the water. Lowering and raising jib from the cockpit work great too, more comfortable than running out on deck when your on your own. During my beat upwind I let my jib sail flap around in the high winds and my club foot took a heavy pounding so much that my spring clip broke and club foot broke away from the sail. During my anchoring rest I remove the club foot all together and attached my jib line directly to the sail and sailed around with no club foot. Seems to me I got better performance with no club foot and no banging around that happens with the club foot, I think I going to leave it off.
Back at dock at the end of the day winds where still pretty high and boat took a pounding against the dock while I ran to get the trailer. All in all it was a great day out on the water. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Tiller in my humble opinion is far superior to the ship’s wheel in sailing performance especially it you’re a novice sailor like myself. But the ship’s wheel 10 to 1 looks a whole lot better.

Bushfire Bob Big Grin
Hey Bob good to see you around again. Any chance you will be joining us on Pymatuning in June? I hope so.

Jim
Bob - I'm glad to hear you're back out for another season. Today was a super day although the winds were a bit gusty for my liking - I spent a bunch of time un-wrapping the clothes around the clothes line between finally getting to some yard-work.

I'm hoping to be out sometime in mid to late May - we'll have to meet up. Is Evan still interested in sailing or have cars taken over? I don't think we'll get my daughter out until the Weekender is done although she does like her skiff. Trueman is usually up for almost anything though.
Sounds like a fine first of the season sail Bob. The spring winds and cold water can be a bit intimidating.

I'm working on a furling jib system for my Vacationer, hope to test it soon. The soft water should be here by the end of May.

Greg
Hi Bob,
I was 50/50 split on whether to repaint and touch up or just get sailing. I opted to fix what's been abused, but I'm really jealous of the shortcut. good to know you like the tiller, and I too am trying out a no club foot approach this time around.

Glad all went well and that you had fun, I've gotta lead my lines aft still. That's on the list once I get the boat back on the trailer.

Bob_Burgess

Andrew
Let me know anytime your ready to go for sail, I will have my trialer lights fixed up this weekend. Evan's into motorcycles Confusedhock: only thing stopping him is insurance rates $ 4000.00 per year Confusedhock: Confusedhock: got to love car insurance. Hope Trueman sticks to cars Big Grin
Your sure are moving on your weekender any idea when you think you will be done?

Jim
Pymatuning in June not looking good at the moment just have to wait till the end of this month to see if I can make it. Sure did enjoy the trip last time I made it down Big Grin Sure is a real nice lake to sail on.

Greg
Don't know how you can stand waiting for the ice to melt, drives me nuts :x especially seeing the latest pictures of Karl's open weekender, makes me want to get out and get sailing. Furling jib system, like to see pictures of it, hope it works well . Also hope you get an early spring.

Stuart
I think I got the most abused Weekender in the Fleet :lol: I drilled a lot of holes and plugged a lot of holes experimenting with different idea's
I bet you didn't do this yet! When I came back from sailing I unhitched the trailer from the truck put my support under the trailer tongue, blocks of wood on both sides of the trailer tires so it wouldn't roll. Grabbed my ladder jumped in the cockpit to grab the battery from the stern, but I never put my support under the stern section and the whole boat came crashing down on the stern, so I quickly jump out and of course the boat went crashing back up & down on the bow end. I swear I should not be allowed to own anything :x Only real damage was my liesence plate it is bent in half and rudder box scrapped a bit.
Really look forwarded to meeting you at Pymatuning in June if I can go. Your one up on me in capsizing. :wink:

Bushfire Bob
Quote:Andrew
Let me know anytime your ready to go for sail, I will have my trialer lights fixed up this weekend. Evan's into motorcycles Confusedhock: only thing stopping him is insurance rates $ 4000.00 per year Confusedhock: Confusedhock: got to love car insurance. Hope Trueman sticks to cars Big Grin
Your sure are moving on your weekender any idea when you think you will be done?

Bob - It probably won't be until Sailstice that I'll get out on Connestora lake. I would imagine the Saturday June 17th - the water should be warm enough to fall into by then :-) The Sunday is Father's day. Were you thinking of going out that weekend too? I contacted the sailing club and I believe they're going to have a cruise night that day.

I'm on vactation for the week before Victoria day to work on the Weekender and around the house, but I don't expect to have that boat ready until next summer.