BYYB Forums

Full Version: Mast Box ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After reading the posts about inherent rot problems due to water getting trapped in the mast box, I am wondering, can I skip the box and just attach the mast stump directly?? I am coming up to that part in my build so this is the time to ask. What is the advantage of being able to remove the mast stump? If there is no real advantage, I may just attach the stump directly which I assume would make it easier to seal where it penetrates the deck.
But, I'm a newbie, so please point out any error in my thinking.

Steven.
(S/V Skye - Launch Spring 2007)
Hmm, good question. Strength to the structure of the deck, mast adjustment? I have lag bolted mine into the box, because I got tired of the base moving. I've rarely taken the mast base out, generally once a season to check for rot.

And the mast opening is a trouble spot for collecting moisture, although I've seen some cleaver boot arangements to keep water out. I'm for drilling larger holes to let the box breath, as a preventative measure for now.

Building up the area to substitute the mast box could be done in my opinion. I have never put a forward hatch on my Vacationer's foredeck, because the resident mermaid wanted lounging area. I had to beef up the under deck to take my heavy weighted self for when I'm up forward too.

The mast base is raised on my boat, but I still don't feel the need to take it out when I trailer. In fact, my boom is below the hinge, like on the Weekenders to make a neater package. The plans call for the goose neck above the hinge in the Vacationer plans.

Maybe some one will come up with a few cons, but I can't think of any except the old, don't change it until you try it. I think this modification stands to be addressed though, an improvement can't hurt and easier to implement from the beginning.
I am thinking of simply putting some 1X on the front and back of where the old mast box was..... simply to act as a stiffener for the deck. The chock and sole area beneath it were rotted out, I had large air holes in the box and weep holes in the bottom of the box. However, one thing to consider is how much you are going to use the boat and how you are going to store it, many of these boats are garage stored and used a few times a year, not Fat Chance. I sail the crap out of Fat Chance and often leave her on her hook for a week or so at a time. She does not live inside a garage and was built with basic materials, not marine grade ply, etc.

So far I have cut out a large portion of the bulkhead and removed that, removed the chocks and applied penetrating epoxy to the area. I then used some regular epoxy to build back up the irregular area and have laid a large piece of very heavy weight bi-axial cloth to stiffen the area back up.

I plan to build larger chocks for the stump to ride in and simply stiffen the area around the boot on deck. I am tossing the box in the pile with the wheel, the club foot and the little storage box (in Davy Jones locker). :lol:

I would discourage you from making a permanant attachment, what if you want to raise the boom or something happens and the stump gets broken, etc.... simply slide out the old one and slide in a new one.... done.
i use this around the stub:

[Image: 402582_3.jpg]

the box has enough tape for a long time. i have taken it off and thrown it away to mess with the mast stub and still there is a tone of the tape - it self sticking and sticks and blends into itself and is paintable. My mast box was seriously encapsulated in epoxy and glass - so it would take a lot of water and a long time to rot if ever - plus this is a very DRY climate. I think also it helps to encapsulate the bottom of the stub so that it doesn't swell and make if water does get down there.

i am glad my stub isn't permanent too because i may just raise the whole contraption by a couple of inches...and like Angie said - it is easily done by cutting a new stub.

a.

JohnTeetsel

Skip the box.
Add a strip of ply the width of the box to the front side of the bulkhead and build a 1x1 "cup" on the bottom to laterally support the mast stub. A 1/4" bolt through the bulkhead and mast will provide all the strength and support you'll need. It also allows you to adjust the rake of the mast if you need to compensate for a weathe helm.

Lots of air to stop the mold, mildew and rot and still plenty strong.
You know you have heard the perfect solution to a problem when you smack yourself in the head and say, "Now why didn't I think of that??"

Thank you John for a simple solution that should stop the potential rot problem but still allow me to easily change the mast stump.

Okay, so that's the steering, name, and mast box figured out . . .

I may be able to start building again. Big Grin

Cheers,
Steven.
(S/V Skye - Launch Spring 2007)

JonFerguson

Is their any way to search the old boards because I remember a whole thread about this topic, could be useful.