BYYB Forums

Full Version: Tiller conversion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I want to use a tiller instead of a wheel, let's say. What about the block for the boom on the transom? Isn't it going to be in the way, now? How do you work around that?
Brit
I have a tiller on MY WORLD, and I'm rigging the boom sheet tonight when finisned I'll post a picture.

Kayakarl
Brit,
This is the way most people set up their main sheet when using a tiller. This drawing came from Frank Hagan. It also has the advantage that it can act as a traveler and take out some of the sail twist.

[Image: 3sheet.jpg]
Many production boats with tillers have the main sheet block directly on the rudderhead. This frees up the cockpit and puts the sheet easily at hand. This location makes using a traveler imposable, though you don't see many Weekenders with travelers.. Another approach is to use a bridle over the tiller. This can be as simple as a couple of eye bolts mounted in the corners of the taff rail or aft deck with a piece of line, loosely strung between, for a sheet purchase. A length of line dangling from the sheet block would permit it to be moved as needed like a traveler, but not very efficiently. A "U" shaped section of pipe or tubing could be installed to act as a real traveler which a hoop or other type of attachment can hold onto the sheet block. The "U" would need to be tall enough and aft enough to permit the tiller to swing up when desired.
i changed my block set up this last time i went out...there is a link on Frank's site that shows various set ups. I went with a stainless steel loop thingy on one side of the transom...to a double block on the boom back to what used to be the center block - i moved it to the other side - back to the double block and down the boom to another block....and if that doesn't make sense i bet i know why (i really need to learn to communicate) ---

i took all the steering off and out of Morgaine tonight....sanded the transom and am getting ready to fill and close up the hole - I have ordered new gudgeons and pintles from Duckworks and by the time they get here I should have the rudder box modified and a tiller made....i am also revising the motor mount situation...

beautiful weekend ahead and i took my boat apart Cry

now might be a good time to get the sail off and start the reef points.

a.
Ken Conners sent me this photo of a boom traveller set-up with a tiller.

[Image: DSCF0018.JPG]

Thanks, Ken. Looks good. I love your beadboard cabin bulkhead! That looks awesome!!!
that is essentially the set up i so badly described.

a.
It's okay, Ken got it Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I finally got the hull painted to an acceptable level, this PPG stuff is not easy to work with. Temperature changed a couple of degrees while I put on the last coat, had to sand it down and redo it. :x :x :x

Looks good now, never look as good as ALOHA, though. Don't have the equipment or space to spray. Now, paint the bottom and the waterline(ish), and get back to work.

It will float now, now to get it to sail. :roll:
what i can't figure out is why that boom is so big! the thing is down-right dangerous! i am glad i used chair rail for mine - it is pine, very light, and still a real threat swinging around. Anyways - that is the set up i am using...

a.
I use a fiddle on the end of the boom. The bitter end of the sheet attaches to the bottom of the fiddle then the sheet runs down to a block on the corner of the lazerette back thru the upper block on the fiddle and down to a block on the other corner of the lazerette with a cam base attached. It is clean and efficient and tends to function much like a vang and hold the back of the boom down in a lift, making the sail more efficient and reducing some of the twist.

I like the sheet to be at the back of the cockpit, which is why I like the block with the cam base, so I don't have a pile of sheet in the center of the tiny cockpit.

I don't think a horse or bridle is a good idea for these boats, it allows to much slop and the sail set up has a lot of twist already. A traveler might be OK but why add another set of lines to the tiny cockpit. Less is more.
Pages: 1 2