BYYB Forums

Full Version: DIY accessories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody seen plans for a masthead fly (wind chicken, spinny weather vane thingy on top of the mast)? I know they are not expensive, just one more "special" touch.
When I started sailing Fat Chance I had a masthead fly on a bungee cord with a little snap thingy (it was made to put on and take off)... I found the telltales helped me more on trim than the masthead fly. A masthead fly is really to learn to read the wind, once you know where it is, the telltales tale all. It is good for beginners but I think it is a crutch that one should not rely on, feel the wind, read the water.... stop looking up! Hang up and drive!
ARRGH! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Masthead flies are real useful to read shifts and remind you which way the wind is "clocking" as your course changes. For casual sailing, close attention isn't necessary. In light air, when needing to take advantage of each puff and header, in order to make some progress in the general direction you want to go, they are valuable devices, much more sensitive then wind blown skin.
I use pieces of yarn tied to the aft stays, they are very good wind indicators. The labour to install is minimal, cost is really negligible.
I stand on the end of the sprit , lick my finger, and hold it up to the wind! :lol:

Brian R Walters

I like a bucket of dryer lint or grass clippings myself. Grab a handful, chuck 'em in the air and bob's yer uncle.
Quote:I like a bucket of dryer lint or grass clippings myself. Grab a handful, chuck 'em in the air and bob's yer uncle.

Paint may be a bit wet for that at the launch.... :lol: