BYYB Forums

Full Version: Kit Sailboat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Back in the 1960's a company made a sailboat kit that you could buy in any stage of completion from hull only to ready to sail. It was fiberglass, about 18 feet long with a cabin and swing keel. I was told that the Coast Guard made them stop selling the kit. Does anyone remember the name of the company or the boat.
Ed, we are all "spring chickens". :lol:
Luger was the name Ed. I think they were from up North somewhere. The had a neat program for the boats they offered. There were three or four options of accessories each one nicer and for more $$. You could tailor make the finish of the boat in terms of seats, windshield, rigging , ports, etc... They were nice boats that came with the hull and such precast in sections. You aligned the parts and put them together with sheet metal screws and glassed over the joints. These were very nice boats for the $$ and there are still some around. A gal at Channel 7 in Albq had a big one one down on Elephant Butte Lake. They were beyond my means back then. Some say Catalina bought and closed them and other say it was liability insurance that did them in. About this same time there were ads in the aviation mags for a kit plane that was based on what looked like a plywood piper cub. They sold foam based glue on pannels that made your basic box into a 1/3 scale war bird. They offered Spitfires, A1s, Jugs, Zeros, and a couple of Navy types as I recall. How's that for old Ang??? 8)

Larry Thomas

http://www.acbs-bslol.com/Classicglass/L...stries.htm

Luger Industries-A Minnesota Legend - By Lee Wangstad

In the late fifties, when most of the players in the recreational boating market had either sputtered to an inglorious halt, or had elevated themselves into that group that were writing their success stories, Luger Industries of Minneapolis made a bold move that would launch them into the winner’s circle.

The kit-boat market, never really feared by the front line boat manufacturers, was about to change with the introduction of Luger's new fiberglass boat kits. Before this, the kit-boat industry was composed almost entirely of boats made of marine grade plywood fastened to hardwood frames.
Thanks for the info. I don't remember why but the other night I was laying in bed not able to sleep and I remembered almost buying a kit sail boat but was talked out of it.