BYYB Forums

Full Version: field trip in the south
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My friends Crystal and Michael agreed to go sailing with me - all of us were up before any of us are used to getting up so that we could mess around in the boat for a few hours today....
set up is getting to be a breeze:

i said to Michael "hold the mast and i'll get the stay" he said "huh?"

[Image: setup2.jpg]

at first it was WAY too windy - i had two newbies on the boat making all kinds of sudden movements....so i motored out

[Image: P4230011.jpg]

all smiles:

[Image: P4230021.jpg]

i was clearly still asleep...

[Image: P4230009.jpg]

we pulled into a cove for lunch (i really love being able to beach nearly anywhere i want) :

[Image: beached2.jpg]

i decided to sail around - and they hung out on the shore taking pictures

[Image: tiesail.jpg]

[Image: sail6.jpg]

coming back into the cove:

[Image: landing.jpg]

admiring the view:

[Image: lunch.jpg]

sailing back in to the dock

[Image: pointofsail.jpg]

i just like this picture:

[Image: leancove.jpg]

and this one:

[Image: peace.jpg]

[Image: cove.jpg]

[Image: stopforlunch.jpg]

people live in some of the coves - don't know how this happened - it is a national park but there are spots where there are houses and trailers....who knows

i am still not very happy with the steering - i am ready to go to a tiller. . . i don't see how the tiller would be in the way any more than the wheel (i'm not going to make a super long one) but the responsiveness is a must and the wheel just doesn't do it for me. i moved the jib sheet to the side of the boat i sit on (left) and decided it made no difference to me to have the throat halyard close - so i just cleated it off on the mast. i can move to the front of the boat quickly and without much effort - and it is easier to drop the whole main from up there anyway. Overall - it was a nice day. my friends enjoyed the outing and want to go again - the morning was super windy but it died down and made for nice sailing. As we were leaving though a big thunderhead appeared and i was so glad we were off the water...the lake is so close at that spot but next time i am going to try a different bay because it takes forever to get out of the marina - where there are zillions of house boats.

but what a nice day... 8)

a.
Those pics in the cove are EPIC southwest stuff!!!! So, what lake is that? Big Grin

After my little sail training outing, I am also left wanting by the wheel. The tiller has a better feel for where you're at and what's going on, bu the wheel is easier to hold in position, I think. Also, the tiller intrudes the cockpit area, which is small anyway. I may experiment with some sort of "track" tiller system later on.
What a pretty lake, I loved that cove you found. Looks like you had another fine time on the water. Sorry to hear about your steering I wish you could get it right. I've never had any problems with mine. Do you have a turnbuckle rigged on it to tighten the rope? I'm not familiar with the weekender plans on that issue. You may look at your Vacationer prints and see if there's anything major that different between the two. Maybe another wrap or two around the pipe will make a differnce. Keep working on it, you'll get it right

Keith
thanks keith - i think a lot of it is responsiveness - i just want to have the tiller in my hand and know what and where i am going...the wheel is nice and salty - i will save it for the vacationer....by then i will have a lot of sailing under my belt.

Brit - epic southwest was the thunderhead that came up as we were leaving - true to its form Lake Mead was unpredicatable and testy today - at one point in the morning we were dealing with white caps and pretty good swells....but i found that protected cove and we hung around that area until afternoon.

so - that was lake mead - next time i am going to go farther north...to the overton arm.

a.
Those pictures are absolutely beutiful! I am going to have to fly out there and join the SW fleet for a messabout...you forced me into it! BTW, loosen up on that topping lift a bit will ya? Tongue
Fantastic!! :o Way to go Adla. I'm looking forward to trying out Lake Mead sometime. Getting real anxious to get the Falcon out from under her winter cover and get going. Life is getting in the way. I had a Scout camp this weekend and next weekend I need to go up to Salt Lake and visit with my mother. She broke her shoulder in 6 places and is having a rough go of it. My brothers and sister are taking good care of her but I need to take a turn. Anyway, great pictures Adla, thank you.

Darick_Anderson

Adla~
You are so lucky, Your boat is beutiful! It looks so classic under full sail.
I have my bergies and my plans, I guess I am out of excuses,
I will have to get busy.

Thanks for the great pics Tongue

Darick
It sure looks like a good time was had by all. It is photos like yours that make me miss the SW. I will not show them to Saralee as I liked to never got her out of Phoenix last year. This is the Beauty and the Boat Series yes? :lol:
Darick,

gET GOIN' ON THE kEEL!!!!

Let me know if you need any help.
Adla your pictures are killin me i cant git-r-done fast enough all those pretty lakes and boats if i dont get around some sails soon im gonna pop.
Great photos Adla thank you for the inspiration
Brian
Pages: 1 2 3