BYYB Forums

Full Version: Motor Mount
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My wife didn’t like the idea of sailing with oars as the only aux power, so I bought a Yamaha 2 ½ hp 4 stroke motor. (She made me buy it). :wink: :wink: :wink:

What brand, make, and model motor mount works best on a Weekender? :?: :?: The motor weighs 37lbs.

Kayakarl
Karl, I think you'll be happy with a 4 stroke. They run quieter that a 2 stroke, and usually get better fuel economy.

I found this motor mount at a garage sale 2 years ago for 20 bucks. It fits the Vacationer well, would likely fit a Weekender
[Image: normal_SV_Ginny_Rae_002_WEB.jpg]

Brian R Walters

I've actually used that exact mount and they're not bad. A little awkward sometimes for raising and lowering the motor. Definitely good for the price. The reason I'm jumping in is this: On one of our club boats (Catalina 22) raising and lowering the motor (Nissan 5hp) would actually cause visible deflection in the transom. It was (IMHO) mounted too low anyway, requiring an ugly reach over the transom and not even getting the prop clear of the water w/o tilting the motor. The majority of the club boats (Martin 242s) didn't have this problem. Fortunately with a ply boat, a generous doubler plate will fix the deflection. Just my .02
Karl
I have the same mount on on my weekender but I made a bracket so it sits vertical. It works very well with my 5hp. It makes it very easy to raise the moter.
Pat, I started to put that mount on my boat; however, once I got it home it was not heavy enough for my 9.9. I went with a solid mount. Life would have been much easier if I could have used the articulated mount. It was well made.