BYYB Forums

Full Version: Progress update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, while I wait for mr. tax man to fund my next material purchase, I've been hard at work on the things I can get done. Let's see, the hull is far smoother now than it was when I launched 2 years ago, all the poor exposed wood I've been neglecting is smooth, clean and dent free once more, and I've made a startling discovery.

My mast was 4" to short all this time. I forgot that when I first built it, I had to chop 4" off the stump to clear the garage door, so now I'm getting ready to turn my no longer needed larger mast into the needed one, chop it down to the right length, and use the original as a new mast stump so the wood matches, and the hinges no longer bind the mast hoops.

All my soon to be bright work is now sanded and ready to varnish, and I'm now making boom jaws instead of the tabernacle arrangement, so I can raise the boom for a boom tent when camping.

One plus about discovering that my paint gun didn't like latex was that the primer did reveal where some minor hull imperfections still remained. They're just about all fixed now I should be done and it'll be ready for me to try again once the oil based paint can be purchased ... should be by next weekend.

I'm also removing the rollers and taking measurements today for the keel guide and new bunks, Home Depot is going to love me real soon.

How hard is it to wire in an electrical panel, navigation lights, cabin lights, bilge pump, and anchor light? On that note, WHAT IS an anchor light, and where does it go?

Grinning from ear to ear, I'm back off to do more work on the boat. See ya. Smile
An anchor light, is a white light attached to the top of the mast. Some folks have lanterns that they hang from the top. They are required for overnight anchoring on the water. I have a white trailer type clearance light attached to an "L" bracket. Depending on your local nautical rules, you might also need red and green nav lights on the bow for night running. I cut a groove in my mast and routed a 4 strand trailer wire, and coax cable, then glued a strip of wood to fill the area. This gave me the wiring for my anchor light, and VHF radio antenna. l have the option for another eletrical appliance "?" . If your rebuilding your mast, you should consider the imbedded wiring idea.
The anchor light is a single white all round at the mast head and as the name implies is used when the boat is at anchor and has no way on, you are also required to have running lights and a stern light (135* dead astern) from sundown to sun up if the boat has way on. You can use a masthead tricolor only if you are underway by sail power (red over green is a sailing machine and gives you rights over most power driven vessels-- exceptions being not under command, restricted in ability to manuver and active fishing vessels).... if you are using the motor then you are to show the lights of a power driven vessel with way on (red/green sidelights with a stern light). It is the law within the demarcation lines, there are no "local" laws that would supercede maritime law.

All that being said, boats under 7 meters can show a single white allround as a running light. However, I think this is better left to dinghys and truly small boats.
For my anchor light I send it up the mast via the flag halyard. I have it wired up with a white extension cord that I pull up the mast with the light and when I'm not using it I don't have it in the way of anything. The light is mounted to a board that I attach the halyard to in two places the top and bottom this way the light is pulled rightside up. The light has also come in handy when I'm docked at night I can light up my cabin with it or move it around the deck.
Wiring the panel is an easy task. It takes a while to do with running the wires around and such but it's very simple for a boat like ours. I still need to add cabin lights in mine but I havent figured a good place to mount them without exposed wires showing. I already have wires here and there that I don't like to see but some things must be done that way. For my main cabin light I have a gimbaled brass oil lamp. I may put a battery powered light in there at some point. While you are witing things up don't forget to put a car lighter plug onboard. You can plug in lots of things into this while your sailing such as a phone charger, dvd player for the kids, a GPS. I have a six switch board on mine which is plenty for my use. It has a switch for anchor, running and cabin lights, bilge pump and 2 accesory switches. I mounted it on the forward bulkhead next to the head. My battery is mounted in the bow for forward ballast. I have the biggest deep cycle battery walmart carried and so far I have only dropped it down 15% according to my charger. That was over the winter while I wasn't doing much onboard except listening to the cd player while I worked. For a weekend sail with things on it uses about 10%. It is very important to keep your battery charged up. A good charger will automatically add a charge when it's needed if you keep it hooked up when the boat is sitting on the trailer.

Keith