BYYB Forums

Full Version: steering modifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I am getting close to putting the sides on my weekender, I want to get a few projects done that seem like they would be easier with the sides off.
The foremost being the steering.
I really like the modification done by Terry Crisp.

http://groups.msn.com/SandbarsandDriftwo...ngmod.msnw

Basically, rather than cutting a hole for the short tiller to enter the transom, he used two "through the deck" blocks and . . . well, it's easier to just look at the website.
This seems to simplify the steering while still maintaining the salty looking wheel.
Has this been discussed here in the past?
It looks pretty straight forward to me, but I'm a newbie to sailing.
Any pros or cons would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Steven.

Adam Plourde

I can't comment on his method since I haven't seen it in person. I will say that the wheel as drawn isn't as tricky as you would think. I did change things a bit by drilling two holes in the top of the lazarette area and putting in those plastic access covers that West Marine sells for not too much money. That made access to the insides easy enough where instead of having the bolts go threw the side of the bolt to adjust things, I instead built a wooden bracket on the inside which I attached the stearing lines to with small turnbuckles. I wish I had a picture to explain it; but it works like a champ.
Has anyone tried using a worm gear, or perhaps a gear and quadrant system for these boats?

Seem to me if it could be made to fit it would take the slop out of the system.

Dave G.
Edson has a gear which would work but it's big money to get one. It's a huge hunk of heavy bronze. I had one on my 35' Whittholz. On my Vacationer I haven't really had any problems with the steering though. The line does strech now and then but nothing you can't preveny just by making sure it's tight before you head out. I also sprayed my pipe that the lines wrap around with contact cement wish keeps them from slipping

Keith
Hi Guys,

Somebody sent me an e-mail yesterday asking about modifying the Skipjack to wheel steering. Now, of course, I've lost his address. If anyone has a clue who this might be, please inform at <<mail@stevproj.com>> and I'll send him copies of the steering set-up.
Thanx

Pete Stevenson

walterharris

I need a steering ball.  Problem is the nice ones are really expensive.  I can get one of those hot-looking steering wheels with the ball built in for just a few dollars more.  Then Ill be as cool as the Regulators & Yellowfins  Whats the procedure for removing the destroyer wheel?
Up here in lake country there is an endless supply of large ugly old fiberglass runabouts laying about with cable and pulley steering systems. I just harvested the wheel and spool assembly, two pulleys and several feet of plastic covered steel cable out of one (a large section had lived under the deck and so was in very good shape). After cuting the ugly plastic wheel off the hub I was able to bolt my wooden wheel onto the shaft. It was quick, and it was FREE!! I used pulley mount hoops on the inside of the hull with carriage bolts through the rub-rails so the nuts are hidden on the inside, and used a turnbuckle at the rudder eye-bolt to take out the slack. Hope to have the Vacationer ready for her maiden voyage on Labor Day weekend!
Look forward to lots of pictures!
Could someone reprint the Terry Crisp article, especially any photos?

Dave