BYYB Forums

Full Version: Vacationer capsize?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear fellow sailors and builders.

I have read in some of the threads about the weekender that may capsize if not handles correctly or saioing in less than fair weather (perhaps not the best choice in words, but I trust you understand)

I have never read about a Vacationer capsizing - is this because she is so much more stable with the wider beam or not so much reported or what?

I am very curious about this.

Thanks, looking forward to your experienced answers.
There are probably a few reasons. One is that compared to the Weekender, there are fewer Vacationers around anyway. Second, the Vacationer sail area is smaller compared to the size of the boat, so it would be more stable, as well as the large size.

However, the Vacationer CAN tip over. If the weekender is basically a roofed-over dinghy, the Vacationer is a roofed-over enormous dinghy, and if you ever did tip it over, you'd never get it back up. I suspect the reason we've never heard about it is that there are relatively few Vacationers, and it's probably never happened. If you're any kind of sailor at all, you can feel a capsize coming from a mile away. I'm not sure how anyone manages to capsize these things. Once it tips over far enough, all the wind comes out of the sail anyway. I'm not about to try it.
Thanks Keith. Makes sense about there being so many less Vacationers than Weekenders.

I like your comment about trying to right a Vacationer.... this is partly the reason I asked!

Here in South Africa, the maritime authority (SAMSA) has strict rules that governs the safety of all boats, including dinghy's with lids. The regulations they have would include having to install water tight compartments to ensure she remains flouting if capsized. But righting a boat that size!

I guess one could try to install a system with water tanks to flood one side (port od starboard) of the boat so that it could be a bit easier to right.... I saw such a design a long time ago somewhere on the internet, but can for the life of me not remember which boat it was.

Thanks for the reply again! If anyone else ever heard or experienced a Vacationer capsizing, please do share your thoughts.
I built my Vacationer in 1999-2000, and have never come close to capsizing, for a one main reason:  I sail it on smaller lakes in safe weather.  Under bad conditions, you could roll any boat, including the Vacationer.  

I feel that the mast is heavy, and could have been scaled down about 20% and still be just fine.  These boats have very low loads on the rig when compared to other sail boats.

But the best safety feature will always be good decision making.   Smile

[Image: A6dnVEWBbSM7S0jiv_ErO6bLvY-VwdJc8CHOlpzS...32-h974-no]
I learned from fooling around with my weekender that lightening up the rig will make quite a difference in its stability.  I have a hollow gaff and a hollow mast, though the mast could be lighter. and the improvement is noticeable on my little boat.

In my eyes vacationer is a huge boat.  It weighs so much that your puny little body won't do much to stabilize her so she is completely reliant on her shape and weight distribution.  I haven't been around them enough to say for sure, but I have never seen one even heel past ten degrees.  I would like to take one out and push it to see how reliable it is.  My experience with my weekender is that if you get some good speed up they harden up right around the point where you moisten the toe rail.  Lose that speed and you  better stand her up right fast. 

If you want to adventure sail a vacationer, good luck getting her back up.  Once you get the steps to the dance down, they are about as safe as any  boat of their size and shape.  If you pay attention, these flat bottom gaff boats aren't scary at all.

Al
Thanks for the info!
Seems it comes down to knowing your boat and making safe decisions.... Like life in general!
I consider myself still a novice around boats. Only sailed in protected waters such as in our harbour and have sailed dinghies, 14 and 16 foot catamarans (like the Hobie 14 for example)
Yet I have never as yet tipped one over! And I am not about to change that (intentionally at least!)
Hope to get some sailing in tomorrow.. weather permitting....
PS. Very beautiful boat Bosch! Thanks for the pic!
(08-31-2018, 09:56 AM)Zommrindel Wrote: [ -> ]PS. Very beautiful boat Bosch! Thanks for the pic!

Thank you, sir.  Smile

I'm an old Hobie 16 sailor myself, I've owned 3 over the years.
Tip it over, that's half of the fun.  Smile
Just be sure you have a way to upright it.

If you can sail a Hobie, you'll have no trouble with a Weekender or Vacationer.
They're totally different than a Hobie, but sailing basics are always the same on any boat.
I am doing a birdmouth mast for my vacationer, along with having a hollow boom and gaff. I just got done cutting the last strip for the mast, and the last pieces for the boom. I still have to cut the birdmouth on each of the mast strips. The router will get a workout...
(08-31-2018, 03:43 PM)tinman2953 Wrote: [ -> ]I am doing a birdmouth mast for my vacationer, along with having a hollow boom and gaff. I just got done cutting the last strip for the mast, and the last pieces for the boom. I still have to cut the birdmouth on each of the mast strips. The router will get a workout...

I always wanted to do one of those, but never did.
Pages: 1 2