BYYB Forums

Full Version: How to sail oceans, Gaffer videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a recommendation for some videos that are enlightening about sailing a gaffer.  The utube channel is called How to sail oceans.  The guy who produces the vids on this channel is a solo sailor who has circumnavigated on his 31 foot, engineless gaffer and now is settled down to voyaging from the east coast down to the carribean every year.  He has a very clearheaded attitude and understanding of the benefits and drawbacks of gaffers and I like the way he handles his boat.  Check him out.  I have gotten a good bit from him.

Al
Hey Al, have you heard of a book called "hand, reef and steer" by Tom Cunliffe? If not, check it out. It's pretty good too.
Yes, that is one of the books that I have intended to add to  my library and just haven't remembered to.  I should get more methodical in building my library. 

Al
That's a cool youtube channel. Never heard of it before. Cheers for the recommendation, Al. They really have some fascinating stuff up there.
Hey Keith, 

I bought both the Gaff Rig Handbook and Hand reef and steer.  I have been studying both of them for a couple months now.  One of the benefits of reading both is that I have come to the understanding that the Stevensons intended to make weekender a proper little gaffer.  For example, Cunliffe made a big deal of the deep fore foot of the classic gaffers of the 1800's and the benefits of it.  All through his book I have discovered many of the traits that my boat exhibits were intentionally designed in.  The first trait I noticed is the four shrouds placed well aft of the mast.  The first reason I think they did that was to protect the hinge joint in case of a failure.  The other was to prevent the gaff from twisting forward of the mast while running.  Cunnliff's contention was that if that were to happen the boat would roll uncontrollably and likely broach.  With the shrouds so far aft, it would be better to tack downwind rather than steer the rhumb line.  I really don't like running.  Rather I tack downwind which is heartily recommended by the author.  Because Autumn Leaves main will be a close approximation of weekenders, I will be copying the Stevensons' rigging pretty closely.  

All the quirks and foibles of gaffers in their hey day, frame the way my weekender sails and have charmed the pants off me.  I know you also have felt that charm.  For me sailing would not be the same if I didn't have to contend with Duckie's manners, so I am working to come as close as I can with Indie.

Al