BYYB Forums

Full Version: Repairing and finishing Spiritwind
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(05-14-2018, 03:54 PM)Paul Riccelli Wrote: [ -> ]That looks like something I haven't seen in a long time. Since moving to Florida in the 80's I've avoided this issue, but it looks like freeze/thaw cycling. If there's a little bit of moisture in something and it freezes, it expands, then it thaws out and it contracts. Eventually, glue lines and joints can't tolerate this movement and things pop open.

Dry it out (good) and try to squirt some epoxy into the cracks and gaps. Be neat about it, as it'll drip and run on vertical surfaces. Use some temporary nails or screws to hold things in proper alignment, while the goo is curing. When it's cured, pack with putty, sand and paint as usual, after filling temporary fastener holes.

Lastly just fix what you have to fix, don't make more work for yourself. By this I mean you don't have to remove all the paint on a cabin top, just to fix a bad edge. Feather the paint back and make the repair. You can repaint the whole area or just do some touch ups, until you're ready to do some wholesale areas for refinishing.

Paul, I think your are right. The damage does look like it is the result of moisture freezing and expanding, and that would explain the number of areas where cracks have formed and the fibreglass has been pulled apart.

I've purchased some epoxy and sawdust powder. I was going to wet out the sanded areas first with epoxy, then use a syring to inject epoxy deep into the cracks and finally after that mix some of the sawdust in epoxy and fare the edges. Is there a putty that could be used instead of an epoxy/wood filler compound that would make the repair easier?

Thanks Paul.
I took another look at the pics.  It looks like he didn't glass over this joint. so water could get into the joint and ice could do its magic.  I always glass over the joints as well as round over the corner to make the joint hold the glass and goo solid.  I have never had a joint open up on me if I had glass binding it together as a last step.  I'm betting that Barry built this boat near the ocean in an area that would never see 32 degrees so didn't bother with glass.  As a general rule, I round over all joints not only for structural purposes, but to make my work look better than it is.  Your eye can see defects in a sharp curve, but it is much harder to see them in a soft edge.  I think that one thing would make just about any amateur built boat look much better. 

I also noticed that Barry covered the end grain of the roof with a trim piece.  That is a common method of protecting the joints' end grain.  I am doing something similar with Indigo.  In my case though, I am finishing the joint with glass and paint before I add the trim so that the trim is only for show, not structural.  I agree with Paul.  Get all your joints solid again and protect them with temporary paint so that you can go sailing.  Winter is the time to make her beautiful again. 

Al
Yep, the proper way would be to radius the edges, place some fabric down and fair it back in. I think this is a major bit of surgery, likely necessary in a number of locations, so I say wait, summer's coming. Have some fun and doctor 'er up for now. You can freshen her up when you lay over for next winter, when you have you thumb up your butt, wondering what you can do to stay out of the other half's hair.

Wood dust, even the good purchased wood flour isn't the best thing to pack those gaps with. Just use straight epoxy in the seams, gaps, etc., temporary nail them closed and when cured, use some putty (System Three "QuikFair" is my recommendation) to neaten it up a little, then paint her up for the season. With this practice, you can gear up for the major renovations and repairs she'll likely need come next winter. The reason I don't think you should fill with wood flour (or something else) is fairing putty is easy to remove, comparatively, so when you do radius over the edges, maybe add some fabrics, etc., it'll be a lot easier not having to dig out the cure wood flour or worse, a 50/50 mix of silica and milled fibers (read a real bittch, but effective)
I am surprised to see so much damage. It does look like a fair bit of work.

I have squirted epoxy from a heavy duty plastic bag with the corner cut off into cracks like that. It works pretty good if you thicken it up a little first.
Use unthickened epoxy first, then temporarily nail it into place to close the gaps. If you want, use thickened epoxy after the first round of goo has cured. If you squirt thickened goo into the gaps, without first using straight epoxy, you'll very likely have poorly bonded joints and they'll open up again.
(05-17-2018, 11:12 AM)Joel Sacho Wrote: [ -> ]I am surprised to see so much damage. It does look like a fair bit of work.

I have squirted epoxy from a heavy duty plastic bag with the corner cut off into cracks like that. It works pretty good if you thicken it up a little first.

I was surprised as well, but I think Paul is right with his assessment of a freeze/thaw cycle. The stress on the joints created cracks in the fibreglass and once that starts it becomes a problem. The tarp that was covering the boat before it was picked up was weather enough that it allowed water through.
(05-17-2018, 02:30 PM)Paul Riccelli Wrote: [ -> ]Use unthickened epoxy first, then temporarily nail it into place to close the gaps. If you want, use thickened epoxy after the first round of goo has cured. If you squirt thickened goo into the gaps, without first using straight epoxy, you'll very likely have poorly bonded joints and they'll open up again.

I made a mistake with my epoxy ratios, and the first round of applying unthickened epoxy did not set. I spent the better part of a day removing the unhardened goo from the seams and tried again with better success. That was followed up with thickened epoxy. Now I have to sand the edges smooth and will see how it looks after a fresh coat of paint.  Thanks for your advice Paul. I am a rookie at this.
Just thought I'd post this here in case you didn't see my other one. I live in Yellowknife and spend every 2nd Thursday in Edmonton. I can help you get your boat ready. I've had a Weekender for 16 years. I've repaired stuff like that cabin top before!

Let me know if you'd like to get together some Thursday.

Here's a picture my friend Ryerson took of my boat. Al's right, they are fun boats.
[attachment=1752]
Here's the latest pictures. Work is getting in the way of play so I have not made as much progress as I wanted. I was aiming to have Spirit Wind in the water for Father's Day, but that will not happen. Installing the rudder and rigging the sails is all that's about left....I think.

Keith, give me a heads up the next time your are in Edmonton and let's have a look at Spirit Wind. I could use some advice on rudder and rigging.

[Image: IMG_3106.jpg?dl=0]</b>

[Image: IMG_3076.jpg?dl=0]
Wow, what a great-looking boat. I can't wait to see it in real life. Looks a lot like mine, but-you know, - better.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5