BYYB Forums

Full Version: New home built project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm working on a Glen-L design, a 49' (LOD) Reliant 

[Image: dsn-rell.gif]

It took the guy over two decades to build and he did a fairly good job. He made some changes (all home builders do) and some areas aren't built to the plans, but still a pretty good job. I'm on the project for the new owner, who needs some help to square it up for an eventual circumnavigation.

So yes, you can do it, though it might take a while depending on how big a bite you took, when selecting the plans.
I would be happy to help with labor on a project like that. But even if I were twenty or thirty years younger, I couldn't see going that big just because of the upkeep. There are a couple channels on Youtube about people building big blue water boats which are pretty interesting. I've been watching a handful of guys pouring a four and a half ton lead keel lately. Man, that is dedication.

Al
This ballast is 12,500 pounds, but is a stack of 1/4" thick plates of steel, on 1" stainless bolts, surrounded in concrete. Not the best way, but much easier for a backyard builder to handle. It's a cold molded hull, so one of the best to maintain if wood, with a substantial sheathing (about 36 ounces). The bilge is dry, though some sweet water has gotten in occasionally. Launched in 2002, it has only 180 hours on it's diesel, so essentially still a new boat.
It seems to me that 20 plus years is a long time to build a boat. What happened to the original builder? If I ever invested that type of time I'd keep the boat for life. Nice looking boat.
The build time seems excessive, but not for one guy as a novice builder, working on a 50' yacht. I'd estimate 20,000 hours build time, which works out as 20 hours per week, with 2 weeks off, per year for 20 years. This is reasonable for a guy working to feed his family and raise money for the build. She was built in Minnesota, so winter came to play in the build as well.

This guy did use good materials and installed good equipment (those ports pictured are about $500 retail today). In fact, this is it's only saving grace, as a home built by an unknown builder. Near top of the line equipment and well appointed is the deal maker for this particular yacht, though it still took several years, well below market value for a yacht of this class and equipment to sell. The origional builder put a few hours on her, sailed around the Caribbean for a while and sold her. Given some of her issues, one in particular which is an easy fix, but not to a novice, he's lucky it sold. The easy fix is a problem under power, producing a thumping around 1,000 RPM and getting intolerable around 1,500 RPM. Everyone thought "shaft", but I discovered it as soon as I saw her on the hard. The prop aperture in the skeg was too small, having about 15% of prop diameter above the prop tip, but 3% below. The prop would gather up a ball of water on the pressure side and try to shove this through the aperture, causing it to slap harshly on the skeg. I'm in the process of cutting and reshaping the skeg now. Okay, I'm not 100% sure this is the issue, but I'm 90% sure, so taking the chance on this decision.

[attachment=1709]
[attachment=1708]
[attachment=1707]
Atta boy!  That's the way ya do it.  I bet he was a whirling dervish during the non-frozen months.  As we all know, there is a ton of small things that need doing to finish a sailboat, even a little one.  I  bet he was cranking out all that kind of stuff like Santa Claus over winter.

Damn pretty boat and finished better than I could hope to accomplish.  I will tell you guys a secret.  We play up how bad winters are up here just to keep everyone from moving here. 

Having said that, I now have a new hero.

Al
Oh, and by the way, winters really are terrible up here.

Al
Hi everyone
I am looking for a best airless paint sprayer for my home and basic outdoor jobs. My budget is no more than 500$, Can anyone help me suggesting best recommend for me? affordable paint sprayers are here
Thanks, best regards
There is no "best" airless sprayer, though there are many with better features. Airless sprayers are pretty good now, but still can't compare to a real gravity fed or pressure pot system. For outdoor work, you're best with a HVLP setup, which will limit over spray and save material. If you have access to a reasonable compressor, with at least 8 CFM @ 90 PSI you can run most pressure pot or gravity fed HVLP guns, particularly if you have enough reserve tankage (30 or more gallons).

If you insist on airless, I like the Graco products, though there are many others with similar performance. What are you trying to paint?
The first change I've made on this puppy was to address a "thumping" the owner heard and felt under power. It started just after he was in gear and off idle, getting progressively worse. So much so that he' held the RPM's to 1,500 under power, because he was afraid he'd break something. He thought it was the shaft, but I noticed it when I walked up to her the first time.

My recommendation to his skeg and rudder assembly. To give you an ideal of scale on this baby, that prop is about 18" in diameter. Nothing small or cheap on this 'ol lass.
Pages: 1 2