BYYB Forums

Full Version: Back in the Saddle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JonFerguson

Hello all,

Well I finally returned from a long string of work trips and started working on the boat again. Had to move the boat back to Tennessee because my new apartment doesn't have any place to put it. So it's back in mom and dad's backyard. Last week I worked everyday on the boat and the entire hull/keel/stem is glassed and painted three different colors. Keel/stem is Hunter Green, Hull bottom and sides are dark purple, and area between the rub rails is white. I only had the week so It is not quite as smooth and pretty as I might have liked but taken as a whole it doesn't look to shabby. I painted it with satin Rustoleum and just rolled on with a paint roller. I felt that a workboat look was more in keeping with the low tech hardware store mentality that this boat was designed around.

The entire month of May I will be working like a dog doing a Network upgrade at work. Looks like I might plan another week of labor in June or July. I'll have to flip the boat finish the glassing the deck, do the nonskid and paint the topsides. I am very tempted to rip out the existing cockpit and rework it in a way that makes more sense to me. That will add substantial time to getting on the water though. I may just paint the existing cockpit really well, leave it unglassed for now get the boat in the water and then make my cockpit changes as an upgrade later. Does anybody have an opinion on this? I feel inspired by the Pocket Cruiser 'Suits Us', I really like that cockpit.

Sorry I have been out of contact so long. As usual just mired in life and haven't had time till recently. Would you believe I was out putting the final coat of paint on as the sun was coming up Easter morning. I just had time to wash the worst of it off my hands before the kids awoke and started hunting for Easter baskets.
Jon, you should join us for the Summer Sailstice weekend in June. Check the SE Fleet forum for more info. Come and sail with us a while

Keith
Ahoy Jon. Glad to hear from you. How was your tour on the cutter? Are you working on terra firma now or are you still on a ship? Still stationed in Charleston?
I remember you. So you didn't fall off the edge of the world. Glad to have you back. Back to work.

JonFerguson

My time underway on the cutter was incredible! We stopped at some very nice ports such as Key West, St. Petersburg, and Galveston. We made it as far south as Havana Cuba. I learned a great deal about life at sea and met some interesting people. The captain wrote me a letter of appreciation for helping them out.

At the moment we are still in Goose Creek in the greater Charleston Metropolitan area South Carolina. If nothing changes I should still be here for another year and a half. I have applied to Officer Candidate School and I am waiting to hear if I have been accepted. If I get accepted then I will be in New London, Connecticut for four months and then pull up stakes and PCS to a new place. We have a lot of units at Chesapeake Bay, I may end up there, only time will tell.

Someone posted above about the seagoing illness. I have to say that I have it as bad as anybody and have also dedicated my own life to being on or near it as much as possible. This includes leaving the Air Force and joining the Coast Guard. I must say, I've never been happier.

Keith I will check my calendar, so much depends on my news about OCS. Are any of the other Charleston Weekenders RSVP?