BYYB Forums

Full Version: Passing of Barry Pyeatt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It is with a sad heart I inform everyone of the passing of Barry Pyeatt.  His son told me that he passed away on January 12th of this year.  Barry was a great guy, and more than will to share his wealth of knowledge on weekenders.  I'm glad I had the chance to meet Barry, and talk about these wonderful boats with him.  It was a please seeing Barry beaming with pride when talking about his boat Spiritwind!

Regards,

Will R.  Everett, WA.
Damn . . .
(03-02-2017, 02:47 PM)Will Riddle Wrote: [ -> ]It is with a sad heart I inform everyone of the passing of Barry Pyeatt.  His son told me that he passed away on January 12th of this year.  Barry was a great guy, and more than will to share his wealth of knowledge on weekenders.  I'm glad I had the chance to meet Barry, and talk about these wonderful boats with him.  It was a please seeing Barry beaming with pride when talking about his boat Spiritwind!

Regards,

Will R.  Everett, WA.

We will miss him!
[attachment=1604]

I made this photo of Barry, August 28, 2013. He showed me around Spirit Wind and I showed him around the drawings and model I had made of Kingsfold. His influence is very much present in both my boat and a key construction technique (using clamps and lumber to bend plywood) I have used, and will use again in the next week or so as I screw down my cabin roof.

https://kingsfoldsailboat.blogspot.com/s...date=false
Thank you Will, and every one else.
Spiritwind was gifted to my son's, they are young and don't have much interest in sailing. It appears very close to completion. I, my self have never sailed. I am going to do my best to get it out with the boys a few times, even if it's only under trolling motor power. But it will probably wind up for sale soon to help pay bills from dad's estate.

Brian Pyeatt
Snohomish Wa.
The best way to learn about sailing is to get her bottom wet and putter around. Most of the things are intuitive and picked up quickly. Taking along someone that has some sailing experience can be helpful, though is not a prerequisite. In about an hour, you'll know what you need to know as a sailor, though you're not going to be ready for the America's Cup, you will have enough skill to handle modest wind strength days. Getting the kids involved when they're young is a good "hook" and can result in the same "bug" that your dad had. My kids are grown, so I have to get the grandkids "dipped", which is fun. They're making the same mistakes as their parents and it's a revisiting of some old memories for me. I go the oldest on a "foiler" last summer. It took a few hours before he learned how to keep it upright for more than a few seconds. The expression on his face when he realized he was doing over 20 MPH, was worth watching him auger it in for the last few hours.
(04-17-2017, 06:28 PM)Brian_Pyeatt Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Will, and every one else.
Spiritwind was gifted to my son's, they are young and don't have much interest in sailing. It appears very close to completion. I, my self have never sailed. I am going to do my best to get it out with the boys a few times, even if it's only under trolling motor power. But it will probably wind up for sale soon to help pay bills from dad's estate.

Brian Pyeatt
Snohomish Wa.

Brian,
Here is a link to a folder of 41 detail photographs I made of Spirit Wind four years ago. Should you have to sell her, they would be useful for prospective buyers. (Also useful for Weekender builders) And when I shot these, she was very much completed and sailable.
Gill Spirit Wind detail photos
So, after talking in depth with my boys etc, it has been decided, we will more than likely clean it up, and take it out for an afternoon on the water , most likely motor powered , on the small lake up the road from us, then put it up for sale.
I don't know what they are worth, I know that dad has thousands tied up in it, it's sitting on a brand new trailer he bought for a couple Grand, have a receipt for one set of sails that he paid a couple Grand for, and it looks like at least 2 other sets of spare sails.
But I will put it up on here before posting it elsewhere...
Unfortunately, these aren't worth much. Most are lucky to recover material costs, with many getting significantly less. This is true of most home built boats. The only things to improve the return are a notable builder, exceptional workmanship, notable owner, etc.

I'm sorry you are finding a need to sell, as the value isn't going to be very good monetarily, though can be emotionally. Take her out for a sail, even under power only initially. I think you'll find just what Barry did, that she's fun, gathers up repeated good comments from nearly every onlooker, passerby and person at each dock you land at. This connection with your father is a tangible thing, when your hands run over the edges he massaged lovingly, for countless hours. It's hard to explain why we build these puppies, but to those that do, the process is a palatable joy that can be seen in the eyes of the builder. I've had the pleasure of seeing this expression many times in my life. The facial contortions, as a new creation hits the water the first time and surprisingly floats, with the decks facing up and on the carefully painted waterline, is literally priceless. I have pictures of myself and others with these weird looking smiles and grins, all unique to this sort of endeavor and non-instant gratification project conclusions.

I'm looking at one of these images now, it's pasted on the wall in front of me. I'm looking up, with a weird, but clearly satisfied grin. I'm in the cockpit of my ketch, which was a conversion, full remodel of a sloop I'd previously built. I had big concerns about rig balance, lee helm issues, lateral area location choices and a bunch of other stuff. I knew she'd float just fine and where I'd painted the waterline, as she was a successful build many years previously, but the new rig was a big risk, with much educated guesswork. The picture was taken just after I'd met my other half and the boat was being re-splashed after a long time ashore. We'd just left the dock and I'd hoisted and set the sails, when I looked up to check the mainsail when she clicked the picture. I remember this incident and I was looking at the sail's draft, for fouled lines and the usual things all sailors check out, just after the sails go up. I was amazed everything was just the way I'd hoped, which is an unusual thing in itself. I mention this because this is her favorite picture of me. She's said she's never seen this expression on me, before or since and it's special to her. It was at this point she realized what and who I was.

Food for thought . . .
the decision has been made to let it set sail to new horizons.
https://www.byyb.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=3355