BYYB Forums

Full Version: is there a cure?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
for boat sick???

[Image: IMGP1128.jpg]

[Image: IMGP1075.jpg]

[Image: IMGP1091.jpg]

*sigh*

a.
No cure at all!

You can only get symptom relief - a little from pictures and a lot from sailing.

2 hours a day is about right.
It gets WORSE as the disease progresses, I see that you have more and more symptoms beginning to show.

I came down with it so badly that I had to pick up my roots and move 600 miles to briney water, change a 20 year career and go deeply in debt to invest in my dream. I am the happiest I have been in my entire life. If the cancer doesn't get me, I will be flush with cash in 10 years and the boat will have all the bells and whistles a gal can put on her since I will have been improving her each year and we will comfortable and trusting of each other.

In the meantime, I enjoy sailing her on the Bay ventureing a little further each time and gaining confidence to handle her in all situations. St. Michaels is 30 miles straight across the bay and a prime cruising destination, except the anchorage is all SOFT mud with no holding because it has been anchored in so much. This year I hope to try the Round DelMarva and sail her through the night in busy shipping areas.... it is our next milestone.

That is what is so wonderful about this sport, you set the bar for yourself. You never learn all there is to know about boats or sailing, there are no experts.

Fair winds and following seas.

8)
Yep, no cure at all. All I want to do is fool around with that boat. IF I aded some hull length and a bit of beam I could transform her into a Bark... Hum.... :lol:
Cure, who wants or needs a CURE!!!! I say get out and infect everyone. I wish it was more contagious. I have many friends that want a ride in my boat this summer, maybe the sickness will Spread. :wink: Smile
dramamine? Big Grin

I really don't think you want to be cured. Re-introducing sanity after such a period of time is not healthy. Sail-driven dimensia is pretty easy to adapt to.

Brian R Walters

DON'T start building boats as a living to get your fix !! I'm sure PAR can back me up here, but my wife is pretty much a "boat widow" :lol:
Adla, while I get my boat to-do list knocked out, your video and pictures are my temporary solution for boat sickness. I sure miss the water, and spend hours each night plugging away at the poor girl. More things done each night, more things realized I've yet to do too. Ah well. She's two years past due for being truly finished anyway ... and that's being generous.
it just beats ----everything else doesn't it!

i was looking through my pics again today and noticed that I did indeed move the bumbers after we launced - hehehe they just went to the deck:

[Image: IMGP1090.jpg]

Stuart,

i'm glad you enjoyed the video - i wish i hadn't been so sick and dropped the camera to cough so much...but such is life. NEXT TIME - NOW that there is a new and WATERPROOF camera in the house there will be better pictures and videos of the boat....and it better be soon or i am ganna implode.....

Brit - aren't you dONE YET --- when we ganna play?

Brian - don't worry there aren't any boatshops in nevada...

Greg - I just made new cards with MORGAINES PICTURE ON THEM!!!!! i pass them out all day long - "Hi, i built a boat! here's my card!" hehehehe

Angie -
i hear ya --- i keep looking at property near more water .... i shouldn't complain though--- lake mead is GINORMOUS and within 45 minutes.

Craig - WOW - all i can say is WOW after seeing you with your rail buried and haulin' @$$...GEEEZ WOWOW!

Richard - 2 hours a day would suit me - if i could work it in - as it is i sneak in lots of peaks and leave the BYYB on my puter sometimes but my eyes are bleeding from reading books....

BUT - i did get my fishing license updated and squared away --- so next trips is sail and fish....

a.
I'm a very lucky person. I've been able to do the things I enjoy and be on boats my whole life. There was a time when my second wife (couldn't swim, was afraid of the water) and I were at odds with the boat thing, but I divorced her and now we're better. My current lady is the finest person I've ever met and a far better welder then I (look guys, find one that has skills that compliment you own) which I've taken advantage of many times. Keeping her "in the loop" has peaked the natural interest in understanding what the person you love does or is so passionate over. She'd been on a couple of boats a couple of times before we met.

I learned from my last wife, who's first sail with me was on a 20 knot, gusts to 30 day in a 14' daysailor (not a smart move on my part) that a nice gentle sail was in order. I'd just completed a 24' daysailor and this was her maiden voyage. The winds were 5 to 10 and the air was in the mid 70's. I shook her (the boat) out and ran up the coast a few miles. I've always enjoyed the look on newbie's faces when they realize they're moving along at a good clip with no sound from an engine. Then I headed up to a broad reach, got her into handling the sheet changes during tacks. We so happened upon a buddy's 1955 runabout that was out of gas and he was trying to paddle it home. He very begrudgingly let me tow the pretty mahogany putt-putt back to his boat house. He's still trying to live the sailboat tow down, from the guys at the Power Squadron, of which he's an officer. Then the woman and I had a nice beat in building winds back to the dock.

The boat I took her on was beautiful, with week old varnish, the day near perfect and the sail eventful, but pleasant. I guess I've learned some over the years, but there's no escape from the grips of this illness. Now I've infected her (use protection guys) and it works out fine. She doesn't like when I bring wood shavings into the house (in may hair, ears, stuck to my shirt, paints, etc.) but she's an agreeable sort. I'm the luckiest guy I know.
Pages: 1 2