BYYB Forums

Full Version: NW Florida Newbie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In about a year or so, I hope to start construction on a pocket yacht for protected waters. I have just had one knee surgery, will have the second in 4 to 6 months, and will start a small travel trailer build after that. When that's done, the boat build!  I have a design in mind I really like and will be studying how to build it during the upcoming year. But will also be looking at other designs to see if there is something I like better.

I will probably make posts with questions in no particular order... some about building, some about sailing. My husband and I had a South Coast 22 for a short time some years back, but sold it when we moved and couldn't take it with us. We didn't sail it enough to learn much; most of what I know is from reading, going back to the 1970s. I look forward to meeting and conversing with folks here.  Thanks for the join....

Sobell
Welcome aboard Sobell.
When I built my weekender I had to take three months off after only working on it for two months to get a hip replacement.  Man it sure was nice to stop taking all those pain meds.  While I was recovering I made a lot of the fiddly bits that can take up so much time later on.  For example, I now have a box full of wooden blocks that I use on all my boats.  Having something to look forward to makes the recovery easier to take.  Good luck with your build.

Al
Thanks, PAR and Al. In addition to my favorite design (thus far) I'm collecting info on other pocket cruisers for diy builders to study over the next year. The main thing most have in common is needed a longer cabin. Most have centerboards, some shoal draft keels, but can you really beach those? (Something else to read up on).

I know as a read and learn, more questions will come to me. I think I'll be visiting here from time to time....