BYYB Forums

Full Version: Continuing Discrete
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I will start a new (the fourth!) thread because the previous seems to be broken.

Here is the latest progress
[attachment=1566]

[attachment=1567]

[attachment=1568]

The knees at the bits will double as a ventilation box of the forepeak. The structure will be a kind of Dorade box
Clever stuff. Is the aft side the opening? How high off the deck?
From the top of my head I would say 10cm (4 inches to the metrically challenged Big Grin ) on the aft side. This is a schematic how the airflow is supposed to go. What is missing is the weep holes in front of the small wall on the deck. Bowsprit on the left.
[attachment=1569]
Yeah that's about how I envisioned it. Cool idea Timo, I'll considering including it in the plans if you wouldn't mind. I don't like the height variable, but for near shore sailing this would be fine. Offshore, you'd need more than 100 mm of protected opening height, as a 100 mm thick wave of water could easily climb aboard, in a plunging sea. In your waters, I doubt you'd have much problem.
Half of that would be enough here most of the time. And since it is on the aft side, a breaking wave would not rush straight in but would need to stay on deck for a while to find its way down.

Additionally, I plan to have a piece of foam to block the opening if the going gets rough and I need to batten down the hatches. The main need for this opening anyway is to ventilate the forepeak while moored, which is the huge majority of the time, unfortunately Sad
This where I am at the moment. The cabin interior is getting ready and I am ready to start the deck. One more major job before that is installing the ballast. I don't want to hammer the keel bolts belowdecks if it can be done before laying the deck.

Some of the equipment will be uninstalled to avoid dust and chips getting into it while working with the deck. Others will be just covered with tarp or something.

I am pretty pleased how the interior turned out. There will be nice sitting headroom with the backrests raised and decent width bunks when they are lowered. Wiring is slightly exaggerated, but I don't want to be adding any extra wires after the boat ios finished. And I don't want any extensions cables running in my cabin or cockpit. That's why I have scattered four sets of outputs including 24V DIN, 12V cigarrette lighter and 5V USB sockets in different locations  in the cabin and cockpit and under the rear deck.

[Image: y7pkexOqOQlxOYdsHqEigiikwtYkRxVs028qpRW7...80-h720-no]

[Image: x9f9UcYeeXbRXucr6WpLQu_k0cQOZyU7H9Ujp3a4...80-h720-no]

[Image: FfTSllBiOZzz1Hi6-lqb2ysQ0fffph0QpLLOR5hC...80-h720-no]

[Image: EMpu9e8Ra9vYGfR5OW8txibhyNtFo9xVt0fzDJuI...11-h909-no]
It's been a long time since I posted here! But I have been chipping away with the boat and here is an update where we are now.

The masts have been glued together and rounded. Even the first coat of paint is in place, although not in these pictures

[Image: 1lTS093ekp5nBP5u5KCV4zwTPVoj_dMeGbqhHc7D...44-h967-no][Image: 2Lo5gIKLujCqMT15I6VDpO_KZMwEW_3CS--f42Pp...22-h967-no][Image: OeGgYiZ9AdUGCpLv1v-t1JBO01hF1hw_BiOjq8RM...22-h967-no]
Ballast went into its place a few weeks ago

[Image: TNexD0_xcqkuADMtv5j7pvKf1y7xR5J0e7mXezcw...22-h967-no]

And the keel bolts

[Image: eDjK7wGLLCtfPsQF362PhPMNXWJWAURFWyTd50CI...44-h967-no]
Now I have worked (finally!) with the deck for a week. It is almost completed for dry fit. Actually you can see the painted masts in this shot. On the left on the shelf you can see the steamed and bent planks that will be the "bulwark strake". I will hang them clinker style as the top strake extending above the deck.

[Image: cvIy7pCeaxuCZVHoBReoI3MfkbYgC_uAKCg6LCTi...22-h967-no]
Every time I start to wonder about your progress Timo, you seem to post . . . Wonderful work, keep up the effort and updates.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6