BYYB Forums

Full Version: Pennsylvania requires brakes on all trailers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just found out that Pennsylvania is one of the few states to require brakes on all trailers. Unfortunately it is part of my route to North Carolina where I tow Weekender. N.C. only requires brakes on trailers that weigh 4000lbs or more.
It's all so crazy and tough if you're like me and want to comply with all the rules. Here's my trailer............where do I put the brakes? Crazy, what do you think?
If you're towing with something reasonable and the trailer is appropriately sized for the boat, the cops will not pull you over to look for brakes on your rig, though inspections might cause you issues.
Below is an excerpt from the PA Code. I do not have or need brakes on my boat trailer.

(1)  The service brakes shall act on all wheels upon application except for the following:

(i)  On interconnected dual wheels, the brakes may act upon only one wheel.

(ii)  A vehicle being towed in driveaway-towaway operation.

(iii)  A trailer of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 pounds, if the gross weight of the trailer does not exceed 40% of the gross weight of the towing vehicle.
Thanks very much for that Matt. It's a great help. I got my information out of a provision store boat catalogue.