BYYB Forums

Full Version: weekender head MK II
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
after using my original box head design on a couple years, I have made some changes to it to make it easier to use.  I had made a similar box head for my CP 16 using the modifications seen in this box, so I knew that they would work before I began the refit. 

In essence, I did away with the loose toilet seat and altered the underside of the box top to hold the bag more open and secure.  To do this, I added two rounded strips to either side of the box top, spaced so that they would just clear the inside edge of the box without pinching it.  These strips gave the top more stability when it is closed so that it is more rigid when being handled.  They also hold the bag open when the box is in use allowing the waste to drop to the bottom without touching the side of the bag.  Also, I undid the screws that held the top tight to the box and replaced those with a single hinge in the back so that the top could be opened along with the lid. 

To use the box, open the lid and the box top and remove the toilet paper in its plastic freezer bag.  Then untie the twist tie that holds the bag closed and pull the top of the bag over the edge of the box until the bottom of the bag is just touching the bottom of the box all the way around the bottom. 
For the first use of a bag it is okay to move the saw dust around with your hand to spread the bag at the bottom.  After that, well, do your best.  Then let the box top down to hold the bag in place and do your business as usual.  After all the paper work is finished, lift the box top and re-tie the bag with the twist tie placed as far down the side of the bag as you can while still capturing everything that is contained in the bag.  This bit is important if you intend to use the box repeatedly for several days.  The contents have a tendency to creep up the side of the bag over time, making the bag a bit harder to deal with.  After the bag is sealed and stuffed back inside the box, put the freezer bag with the toilet paper in the box and shut the lid.  I think it should go without saying that keeping the bag intact is imperative.  If any holes get torn in the bag, you will know it fairly quickly.  Take great care of the bag and it will take care of you. 

I usually travel in remote places where privacy isn't a concern.  Where it is, I use my boom tent draped over the boom crosswise for a screen which while not spacious does hide the activity inside.  When I get under way, the box fits perfectly in the space between the companion way box and the side of the boat.  I have used this box for two years now and have no complaints.  I have noticed that the box itself will begin to smell after a few days, but not while closed in the cabin.  I think a better quality bag will solve this problem, but if it doesn't, I still will not notice anything during the trip. 

A couple of notes on construction. 

I used 1/4 inch luan for the box itself.  The top is 1/2 inch plywood for strength.  As is my practice, I joined all the pieces with 3/4 X 3/4 stringers that were rounded on one edge.  There should not be any sharp corners or edges anywhere on the box or lid.  Again, this is to protect the bag.  The odd shape of the hole in the lid is necessary to allow a full grown person to use such a small box, and really is the only shape I could come up with that would.  Round off the top edge of the hole for comfort.  I primered the inside of the box with two coats of spar varnish and finished with three coats of topside paint.  Nothing noxious should touch the box inside, but seal it up well just in case. 

Spending multiple days on the water in my weekender is very therapeutic.  It would be impossible without my box head, so this is a critical part of my cruising gear.  It has been worth the effort.

Al
wow!  I just bought a porta potty for $85 Smile