BYYB Forums

Full Version: How to convert stock Weekender to Open Weekender?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've kicked around getting a Weekender, but want one without the cabin like this one:

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/ar...weekender/

However, I don't want to build one myself.  There are some completed stock Weekenders around for sale.  How easy/difficult would it be to convert one of these stock Weekenders to one that is "open" with a larger cockpit?

Thanks.
A few Weekenders have been built without a cabin and they make great open boats. They perform slightly better too, with the lose of the windage and weight associated with the cabin. You'll have some head scratching, which is normal with major changes, but essentially you'll make the side decks run fore and aft, trimming out the carlin as a combing. I'd leave a little foredeck in place to stiffen up the bow and I'd also remove the gingerbread, like the bitts. I'd also consider placing the sprit below deck, so it's not a tripping hazard, though this will take some thought. On such as small boat, I'd forego a foredeck hatch too. A cool way to do this cabinless thing would to make the cabin removable, so you can have the best of both worlds, though (again) more thinking and tinkering.
I agree with Paul on the removable cabin thing.  I would not do without my cabin and have done a lot of work on mine to make it welcoming and cozy.  However, being able to take a few passengers has its appeal too.  Be careful not to take too much away from the topsides because they are what is making the boat stiff.  Having it both ways is intriguing. 

Good luck

Al
Well built side decks will retain the stiffness of the hull, assuming a foredeck say back to the mast, is still in place.
Here are some pics of a Weekender with the cabin cover removed.  There's still some structure in the way, though.

Is there a way to cut off some of that bulkhead (?) between the cockpit and cabin?
As to the removeable cabin, Peter and Mike built one, however they never put out any plans for it. I like the idea of it and wish that I had that feature.
I was also sort of thinking.............. I have a Jeep TJ. I've got a hard top and a soft top and I can drive with no top. Now I wish my weekender was changeable like that.
The aft cabin bulkhead can be replaced with seat box partitions, so you can walk right through.
I wonder if it would be a good idea to study some pictures of a "super skipjack" to see what the differences are, and how a modification to an already-built weekender might be done. I understand they are essentially the same boat, are they not?
The Super Skipjack looks to be a couple feet shorter than the Weekender and about 8" narrower.

I may get a set of the plans if I buy this boat (the Weekender pictured above) so that I can see how the cabin bulkhead is constructed and joined to the surrounding parts of the boat.  That way, I can maintain the structural integrity while enlarging the cockpit seating.
Pages: 1 2