BYYB Forums

Full Version: first sail of the year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I got Duckie out for her first sail yesterday and it was interesting.  The forecast was for winds climbing to 15 and gusting to 25 later in the day so I headed out in the morning.  When I left the house it was dead calm, and by the time I got to the lake, it was gusting so hard it turned the water black.  The waves weren't too high so I didn't think too much of it.  However, when I got to setting up, I tucked a reef into the main and rigged the downhaul on the jib.  Good plan. 

I sailed off the dock on a beam reach under reefed main alone.  Once I got clear of the wind shadow from the nearby island, I hauled up the jib.  Duckie took off like she was shot out of a gun.  I had my hands full with just the main, but I wasn't getting the speed I wanted so I figured the jib wouldn't be a problem.  Once I got out into the open lake, the gusts got to be a real pita, so I hauled the jib down.  The whole situation calmed right down even with the wind hitting 25.  I wasn't exactly roaring along, but I could relax while making some headway.  I wasn't hove to, but it had much the same effect. 

I got tired of lolligaging so it hoisted the jib again and tacked.  Again Duckie took off.  I found that I could handle the gusts with just the tiller except for one that forced me to round up.  We were pounding up the lake looking like I knew what I was doing and it was grand.  I have mounted a cleat on the boom to save my hands, but I was afraid to try it in these winds over such cold water.  Instead, I held the sheet firm and used the tiller to adjust for the gusts to see if it would be possible to use the cleat once in a while.  As it turned out, I think I can, but not at 15 gusting to 25.  I was quite pleased with how the boat handled the conditions even though it was a strenuous undertaking.

I sailed as far as I could go and tacked around when the wind quieted down a bit to find myself running with the wind coming from the starboard quarter and gusting pretty hard.  I got a little nervous that I couldn't respond to a sudden gust with the boom held tight to the shrouds, so I dropped the main and sailed on with jib alone.  I had never done that before.  Yee Haw!  I hit hull speed under jib alone.  What a sleigh ride.  With the main tied to the boom and the jib hauling like a Clydesdale, I was as comfy as I could be even with the gusts coming at me from several directions.  I would not have been able to accomplish this maneuver without my topping lift/lazy jack.  That thing has saved my bacon so many times that I can't imagine sailing a weekender without one. 

I also learned a cute trick.  Once I got into the channel leading to the landing, the winds started coming at me from all directions including nearly straight ahead.  I found that if I held both jib sheets in one hand and slightly loose, it didn't matter where the wind came from.  Instead of flogging from side to side, I could encourage the jib to take a side and pull without any flogging at all by simply moving my hand a little from side to side. 

It was a short outing, but a workout nonetheless and I am kind of sore today.  But, I would do it all again tomorrow.

Al
sounds like fun.  More ambitious than me. Smile
Because it was my first sail with Duckie, I was also shaking out her rigging, so I hadn't planned to be so ambitious.  Sometimes it just works out that way. 

Al
I had planned on going out today but no wind anywhere.  So I sailed a lawnmower around the yard Sad
FUN!!  i was going to suggest dropping the main, i've had alot of luck over the years in different sized boats in strong winds sailing with the forsail only. i feel you get great control, loads of speed, without the "tippy" feeling you get with the mainsail up in winds that high. enjoy!
I personally think that a jib downhaul should be part of the rigging plan that comes with the build.  I tried it with the club foot, but it wouldn't lay flat which was disappointing but not a deal breaker.  I like chugging along on main alone mostly because the boat will round up if left alone.  The weather helm isn't a big deal to me because of the decreased power and speed.  Also having instant response to a savage gust by adjusting the sheet is simple and safe.  When I am getting over powered, I find myself letting the main out until it luffs and just pulling it back until the luffing stops whenever I think I may be pushing it too far.  Then I know that I am getting a pretty good pull out of the sail and the sheet isn't too heavy in my hand. 

Running is a different deal.  I don't really like running.  I prefer tacking downwind, so I keep an eagle eye on the wind-X to prevent accidental jibes.  With just the jib, I don't have to worry about that, so I finally ran downwind and enjoyed it.  I found myself wishing I had my lapper up to catch even more wind.  I doubt that I could have gone any faster, but maybe...  I have a big genoa on my CP 16 and I do enjoy pounding around with sucker pulling.  It really puts out the horsepower.  Running around with that sail alone is quite enjoyable also.  Plus, it is easier to get a good shape to it with all the controls that the CP has added to it.

There are three things that I would consider must haves when rigging a Weekender. A jib downhaul, a topping lift/lazy jack, and a rope traveler for the boom.  Because I added a deck hatch to the lazerette, I had to rig the boom to either side of it instead of centering it as the plan calls for.  My attachments are all the way out to the rails.  When I am hard pressed I can get an additional flattening effect because the pull is still basically downward even when sheeted out quite a bit.  If I need even more flattening, I use my heel to hold the sheet down as far outboard as the cockpit will allow.

This summer is looking good.

Al
Great entertaining post Al! I hope to get my boat out next week. I like sailing downwind with the jib alone as well. It's very safe and relaxing.