BYYB Forums

Full Version: Autumn Leaves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello to All, Has anybody else seen Autumn Leaves by John Harris from CLC yet? Any thoughts?
Another box boat, though more stylish than most. I'm not a big fan of box boats, but there are lots of folks that seem to love them. Hydrodynamically they have sound principles, but the way I figure it, if you're going to all the trouble of building a boat, it should look like one. For example, plenty of PDR's have been built, but to me they're a concrete mixing tub with a sail on it and I don't find any sense in this design approuch, particularly given the effort and money it takes to complete them.
Hello Paul, Thank-you for your input. I have always held interest in your opinions. BTW, I stopped by your site to see "what was new". I'm kinda liking that Rocky. I may have to send for study plans. Thx again. Take care. Paul.
I liked quite few things about Autumn Leaves.  As a matter of fact I have been thinking about a canoe yawl as a possibility in the future.  If I were to build one, I would add a good bit of space in the cabin, and would like a bit more beam, but that may not be a plus.  I doubt that I could row very far standing up and looking forward.  I like that it is an unabashed single hander design. I personally don't know someone that sails consistently with a crew member, so it is about time that someone design a boat for us and not apologize for it. 

I sailed a box boat last fall, and can report that is was a very able boat.  I agree with Paul though that my artistic sensibilities are important and would make every effort to satisfy them if I were to build an Autumn Leaves.

Al
Canoe yawls aren't very big boats and don't have much by way of accommodations, particularly with modern expectations. The original canoe yawls where very shapely and good fair weather sailors. They are lean and shallow boats, so not much elbow room, but this makes them light and easily motivated (row or sail). Think of them as round bilge sharpies, with the limitations that come with the type. They can make a reasonable raid boat, though usually don't have enough storage volume to stay anywhere for very long.

[Image: Autumn%20Leaves%20Sailplan%20-%20Rendering.jpg]

I think if the sides had some flare and the ends too had some rake, the boat would suddenly become much more attractive, without much additional effort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChGDaErdkso

I watched the build of this boat on youtube.  The name of the boat is KaaNoo and the builder is Martin Houston.  It seems like every year he sails in this Texas 200 event and posts great videos regardless if you like the boat or not.
The Texas 200 is an interesting event, though more about sailing, skipper skill and preparation than boat design.

[Image: Humber-CY-1895-001-560x349.jpg]

This is a traditional canoe yawl from the late 1800's.

[Image: Casco-Bay-001.gif]

This is a modern interpretation by Paul Fisher.

There are lots of these types of design available, from most of the designers you can think of. I like Bill Garden's Eel (below) with it's huge gunter main.

[Image: Garden-Eel-001.jpg]

I even have a canoe yawl sort of, but rigged a a cat ketch instead, to place the masts in more favorable locations (out of the cabin and cockpit).
Talking about sailing canoes, my year starts out in my sailing canoe.  This year I was able to get going before fishing opener which is a first.  The wind has been a little extreme, but the canoe stands up to it pretty well.  Two days ago it was blowing 18 mph and gusting to near 30.  By the time I got done I was pretty pooped.  A couple times a gust hit me and the acceleration snapped my head back a bit.  I don't know why, but my canoe is the boat I am most comfortable in when the going gets rough.  I would not willingly take Duckie out in those conditions, though I have been caught a few times and have come through okay.  Maybe it is my vast bulk planted on the bottom of the boat, but getting hit hard doesn't seem to upset the canoe at all.  My biggest problem is having to bail frequently from the steep waves breaking over the sides. 

I made a new balanced lug sail for it which seems to have solved my sailing to windward problems.  I almost destroyed it during the last two outings though.  I can see myself either building another canoe, or adding decks to this one in the future.   

Al
That's not a sailing canoe, but a canoe that can sail (yeah, there's a difference). Pretty boat Al. Maybe some Amas and quadrupling the sail plan?
I've already increased the sail by quite a bit.  I may push it even farther, because I still don't need to reef when it is blowing like it has been.  I cut a jib for it last winter, but I don't want to try it in cold water like we have now and rip roaring wind.  While I am learning to like the balanced lug, my next attempt will be a gunter sail.  I want to keep the sticks short, so I think that will fill the bill.  Because when I built this boat I didn't need another canoe, I had to find a new use for it.  It is now a test platform for all the various things that I find interesting.  So far it has been a relatively safe and satisfying ride.  When the water warms up, I expect to change all that.  If I push it far enough, I probably will try some amas,  but for now my bulk seems to be enough to keep her on her feet even in these conditions.

Al
Pages: 1 2