BYYB Forums

Full Version: Pedal Power Ideas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My plan with Kingsfold (http://kingsfoldsailboat.blogspot.com/) is to enter it in the 2017 Race to Alaska. One of the race requirements is no motors allowed. I plan to install oars, but it seems to me that if I could use a pedal power system where one sits on the floor of the cockpit, another could keep sailing the boat (assuming some amount of wind) simultaneously.

I am looking for any recommendations and/or experience y'all might have to share. Thanks in advance.
It is amazing to think that a Weekender could make it to Alaska. I am looking forward to your continued postings on this.
I would imagine that you would have to sail in ideal weather and wind conditions. What type of modifications will you be making to the Weekender and/or are you planning to keep it stock?
Pedal power is less efficient than other human propulsion methods, which is why it's not used or seen much on boats. Now, if the boat is very light (kayaks and canoes), then it's an option, mostly because you're not pushing much and these types of boats are much more efficient in displacement mode than a typical sailboat. Pedaling a Weekender will wear you out in minutes.
That's what I needed to know, Paul, thanks. Plus, skipping a pedal power device will save me a chunk of change and make the cockpit much more liveable.
Herschel,
R2AK 2015 finishers included:
  • 17’ Swamspcott Dory
  • Montgomery 17
  • 17 foot Prijon Kodiak (a kayak)
So I figure there's hope for me once I recruit two more crew who are experienced sailors.

My modifications include: widening the aft end by four inches and raising the cabin roof three inches (although that was before the R2AK idea). Since then, however, I will be converting the stock keel design to Paul's fin (the added buoyancy version) and rudder design. I also plan to line the inside of the hull with fiberglass and the outside with Xynole. I am also thinking of putting four inches of closed cell foam flotation on the transom and in front of the forward bulkhead on either side of the mast box. Some in the seat backs as well.

Additionally, I intend to become very familiar with reefing my main sail and am starting to think about options for reducing the area of the jib. (I remember reading elsewhere on this forum that I need to keep both sails working.)
I'm looking forward to following your build. It is really nice and inspiring to finally see a Weekender being put to a test of it's real possible potential.
Has someone tested skulling with one row?
There are many schools for it, from the Chinese way (they used to move big junks in this way) to traditional European types and the new evolutions on the net.
Gianluigi
Yesterday I tested out a yuloh on my weekender.  I made a simple 2X2 plus plywood contraption that I mounted to the boom crutch. The yuloh had no finish and just barely any shaping, and was simply screwed together because it had no use after the test. 

I took it down to the safe harbor on lake Superior near my house.  It was a beautiful day except for the fact that there was virtually no wind.  For the purposes of the test that was okay.  I have oars mounted on my weekender that stay mounted in the locks full time, and I used those to get away from the dock.  After I got clear, I shipped those and mounted the yuloh.  I found that the yuloh would push the boat pretty reliably, but not very fast.  I figure that it would produce about half the speed and power that a pair of oars would put out.  I was able to maneuver within the breakwater without using the rudder, but not make sharp turns.  I took it out on the lake to see how it would be for going longer distances, and found that it would be okay, but not very fast at all.  I can't say which would wear me out quicker, rowing or sculling.  I think it is a wash.  As far as my bad back goes, I think sculling would be easier, but I would have to stay at it longer to get the same distance. 

Bottom line, I think that sculling is great for getting away from the marina, but beyond that, get comfortable because it is going to take a while.

Al