BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender build underway finally!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had just enough $ today to pick up my first keel board today.  Me and my son went to our local lumber yard ( its 5 minutes from my house (Martin Lumber in Everett) .  They didn't have 14' 1x12's so we got a 16' pine board.  My sons eyes were huge when the guy pulled the board from the rack hehe.  He said "Wow I didn't think the boat was going to be this big!  This is gonna take us awhile to build..."  Once we got the board home, the next step was to fit it in the full garage...so out came the front half of everything in it....then rearranging. ..and managed to fit it in... I'll upload a pic of the cleaner roomier garage...still lots to do in there, so more work on it tomorrow. ..then we will start lofting the first board Smile

Update tomorrow,

Will
my garage looked like that when I started, so to save time I moved everything into the living room.  Nothing like having AC when doing hot sweaty work on the boat.  After making a rig to place the boat under a tent in the backyard, I finally broke down and cleaned the garage.  Now I can just back the boat in the garage if I push the lawn tractor in and out by hand. Smile

Enjoy the build!
Thanks Susan, its fun already!  Today me and my son Alex lofted our first keel board, pic attached Big Grin .  He had lots of fun, tomorrow we will cut it out.  He's not sure if he wants to try the skillsaw or not....he asked " what if I cut my finger off?" And I responded that would still have 9 more lol
Alex drawing in the station lines
Marking station lines
Last night was a lot of fun!  I procured a skillsaw for cutting the first keel board.  I showed Alex hot to set the saw blade for our cut first, And let him make first cut to trim off the extra 2 ft of the board.  This got him pretty excited!  I then started the curve at the Stem end.  After I finished the first curves, I let Alex finish the cut all the way to the Stem end of the board.  I trimmed off the angle cut, and started the topcut at the Stem end.  I let Alex take over again until he was ready to let me finish the cut.  You can see in the pics us holding the first scrap piece of wood from the cutting, and finally us holding the first cut keel board of Alex's boat!  He said he was very happy and excited, and he can't wait until this weekend when we buy the next piece of wood and I'm just as excited as Alex is  ;D  First round of pics with this posting, and I will follow this posting with the rest of the pics.

Regards,

Will in Everett, WA.
As promised, more of the pics!

Regards,

Will
And I have more pics of our first board cutting lol....Did I mention this build will be pic intensive lol?!

Regards,

Will
And the final pic from last nights cutting.

Regards,

Will
You can never post too many photos of a boat build in my opinion.  Looking at how people had done things before helped me a lot.  When you are all done you can make a video of the photos and post it on youtube.  Congratulations on getting started!!
Pages: 1 2