BYYB Forums

Full Version: New tabernacle for Vacationer 'Okahu'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I've replaced the two stainless hinges I was using for the mast hinge and lock (as per plan - but used stainless instead of gal) and here is my new tabernacle set up in progress.  Using M12 (12mm) galvanised bolts for fixing to original mast post - along with black sikaflex as seen in photos and same bolt for the mast hinge.  I have painted all new wood with epoxy (will varnish over it when dry) and am using lanolin grease for the through bolt pivot on the mast and for the locking bolt on the piece of timber on the front of the mast that will line the mast up with the mast step coming through deck.  Can't wait for it to dry so I can go and test it!

Thanks Paul R for the comments that led me to make the change.
and now the mast in it's new home!
Have you had a chance to see how it works? Hows does this compare to the stock hinge setup? I would have made the mast stub nearly flush with the deck (standing a few inches over it) and the mast bottoming out on this stub. Of course, you probably didn't have enough mast length to do this and have the height right, so a scarfed or scabbed on hunk of mast bottom, would have been necessary. Not much of a problem with epoxy. Looks like to should work well, though.
Had first sail today with new setup.  Went well; mast easier to get up (I had help from my friend Tim) - not wobbly like with the hinges.
Mast stood firm whilst sailing with a good sense of solidity in the rig - the new jib set up worked well also even without the jib being hanked on the forestay.  I got the mast down on my own and it was such an easy job compared with previous set up - it somehow felt lighter even!

So, first test went well I would have to say. - here's a couple of pics from today, cheers again!
I've seen some tabernacles that had weighed mast bases and you could lift an 8" diameter, solid wooden 35' mast with one finger. On my ketch, I have removable weights I use. They hang on a pin and add about 75 pounds to the mast bottom, so when it's time to hoist up the 25' stick, it's really easy. Once up and the locking pin is in, I just remove the 6 weights and place them on either side of the centerboard case for additional (adjustable) ballast. They ease lowering too. I'm glad your setup works and anything is better than that hinge deal.

cheers Paul...yes the counterweight idea has occurred to me also...maybe my next step!

The new jib setup was great also (as I said) but just want to add that it was good and tight and didn't seem to affect pointing ability greatly (still as ordinary as ever!).
Cool deal, two out of two ain't bad . . .
Fantastic Mod, I will have to try it on our weekender!  Love the Sailing pics, that is some nice water to be on Big Grin

Regards,

Will
cheers Will, yes we are blessed with beautiful waterways close by...think I'll be heading out tomorrow for a couple of days on the Bay...Port Stephens NSW if you wanted to google it!

Gerrard