BYYB Forums

Full Version: Jib with a balanced lug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in the process of trying to maximize the light air abilities of my sailing canoe.  To that end I am fooling around with adding a jib to the balanced lug sail that I currently use.  Has anyone had any experience with such a rig?  In particular I am wondering if I need to stay the mast, and would a lapper be of any use.  The canoe is a Dave Nichols Lutra canoe which has a drop in sail rig of Mike Storer design.  I am pretty happy with how easy it is to use this boat, but it doesn't sail to windward as well as my weekender, or move in light air worth a darn either.  It is a gas to sail when most other boats give up, but it also takes on a lot of water in those circumstances.  Still, it is fun even if I have to keep the bail bucket in my hand the whole time.

Al
Multiple sails on the same mast usually will need some staying to keep it in the boat and the headsail's luff reasonably straight. Upwind performance is as much sail (rig) choices, as it is appendage choices, so unless you're willing to install daggers or leeboards and a rudder, both with enough aspect ratio to be effective close hauled, no rig choices will improve upwind abilities.
Yah, I have a lee board that is about a meter long and more than a foot wide.  I just  built a new rudder that is somewhat larger than the one I was using last year.  I have foot pedal steering and the rudder uses a downhaul to hold it in working position.  last year I finally got it to sail to windward after I loose footed the main,  but it wasn't reliable.  If I don't get better performance out the balanced lug this year I am going to replace it with a sliding gunter rig.  I want to keep the sticks as short as I can on this boat.  I don't know if I want to make a bigger leeboard  because the one I have is quite a bit to handle on such a small boat. 

I've attached a couple pics of what I am working on.  it should give you some idea of what I am trying to do.

Al

The ability to get upwind also depends on balance. This can be done mathematically, but is refined on the water. As a rule for boats of this configuration, you'll want the CE of the sail plan to hover just aft of the leading edge of the leeboard, in the fully down position. A few inches aft is the starting point and then you can find out how much helm deflection you have. In modest winds, you'll want less than 5 degrees of rudder deflection. This creates enough head down moment to keep you into the wind, yet not so much drag that the bow is blown off as you try. Also, if the helm is somewhat neutral close hauled, you can slide your butt forward, which will increase the turning moment a bit. With lug rigs, the key for windward ability is luff tension, so halyard and downhaul tensions have to be maintained. This loads can be pretty high and even a small sail might need a 5:1 downhaul, just to tension the luff.
Al, Here's a picture of a close relation - my new Long Haul folding sailing kayak with a Klepper sail, the mast has stays.
I just got it a few months ago. I am suprised at how well it sails. It's pointing ability is fantastic. I wish my Weekender would do as well.
My point is shown clearly in the top image. The boards are aft of the mast and under the well proportioned sail plan's CE. The gaff/gunter is well peaked up, windage minimized with sock spar attachments, etc., all the things you need to do for reduced windage, clean "presentation" to oncoming air flow, aspect ratio, bla, bla, bla, bla, etc.
Thanks Paul,

I have been fighting with keeping the luff tight especially in higher wind speeds.  I will try to figure out how to manage that better in the future.  I have a way to balance the leeboard and the CE such that I can leave the steering alone and the boat will hold a steady course, so you can imagine how little weather helm there is when I have it done right.  I may just be ticking myself off for no good reason, but I can  be pretty stubborn in the face of a challenge.  I can't wait to be able to take the little bugger out in the spring and start working on it.

Al
If you want to go upwind, you'll need some weather helm. I've never seen a boat do well upwind without a fair bit of helm deflection. I suspect your issues are luf tightness, which is common with the lug rig.