BYYB Forums

Full Version: Building Discrete
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
To not hijack other threads I start a new one about my build. I just uploaded my first ever video to youtube. It is about machining the deadwood for my boat.

This is the result of rough cutting with an axe before the shaper.

[Image: IMG_0066.JPG]

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxpKW4vRbo0

And the end result here

[Image: IMG_0077.JPG]  [Image: IMG_0085.JPG]

Man, I wish I had a shaper that big . . . Don't worry about the small little divots along the aft starboard rabbit edge, they'll fill in fine, once mounted. Keep up the good work.
I will install a plank aft of the deadwood all the way to transom to fill the gap between the garboards. Together with the keel battens it will be a horn timber of a sort and the plank will extend under the deadwood as far as the aft tapering of deadwood does.

[Image: IMG_0083.JPG]
Some progress today with the stem. The shaper came handy again.

[Image: 09102015041.jpg]

Earlier this week we (the school) were visiting Nautor and Baltic Yachts. Those boats make you humble: there was a 115 footer docked in Baltic's harbor, delivered and being prepared to be sailed to the Canaries and further to the Caribbean. Looking at it felt like watching a computer effect on a movie, totally unreal.

But we did see a how Swan 115 are built. It is amazing that two yards building such super yachts are located next to each other in a small remote town on the finnish coast.
Have you changed the stem profile?
The upper surface is not finished yet if you mean the extra wood protruding above the deck level.

If you mean the shape just above the water line yes, there is a slight change in the profile. In my eye the bow looked a little truncated with the extended stern so I opened up the curve slightly. The change is only above the LWL.
Good catch Timo. I look forward to seeing her upright.
Here's how it will look like when fixed and flipped:

[Image: 19102015046.jpg]
Is that a one handed headstand, so the free hand can take the picture?  Smile
Back at it!

A couple of weeks went with other things than boat building, but now I am back at it. Today I started to shape the aft end of the deadwood with a router. Router is the boat builder's best friend, it is the tool I use the most. The time spent figuring out a jig is always more than won back when actually machining the piece. And you get a lot better quality than with hand tools.

[Image: 05112015052.jpg]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7