BYYB Forums

Full Version: What i did last spring
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It shouldn't have taken me as long as it did, but I had to keep it in order of priority. 

About a year ago Wooden Boat had a couple articles about building a Kaholo stand up paddle board which my wife wanted, so I built one for her using the plans in the magazine.  I had never done a stitch and glue boat before, so it was again a new experience for me.  I had my doubts about it getting used very much so I didn't want to put too much money into it.  I used cheapo luan plywood for it and the last of my free epoxy.  Eventually I filleted some of the internal joints with PL Premium. 

Probably the biggest challenge for me was accurately cutting out the pieces. It actually took a couple weeks to get a set that I was satisfied with.  It took another couple weeks to cut the long hull pieces, and a couple more days to tie everything together.  Tack gluing the whole assembly went pretty fast.  I only used one small batch of goo to assemble everything in one furious instant.  If I had it to do over again, I would fillet all the interior joints with PL Premium.  The parts that I filleted with PL went unbelievably fast, and ended up very even. 

Once the assembly was stable and all the interior parts aligned, I decided to glass the exterior of the bottom and sides to protect it over winter.  I spent a fair amount of time getting it fair and smooth, but it was fall and I didn't have anything else to do.  Once the bottom was protected, I sealed the interior with a couple coats of marine paint.  About then it was time to bring Duckie into the shop for her winter refit, so I stored the SUP board above the shop for the winter.

Come summer all my sailing vessels were pretty much ship shape, so I took down the board and went to work again.  The hull was basically ready for the deck, so all I had to do was rough cut the deck and glass both sides of it.  Assembling the deck to the hull took about an hour.  I spent a fair amount of time carefully rounding the deck joint because I knew that a bad job here would show up like a sore thumb.  After that I glassed the deck and added a second layer of 3.25 oz glass to the sides.  Fair and paint and voila. 

We took it out today to a nearby lake to see if it would float.  Now I'm wondering if I should have spent a little more on the lumber.  My better half was delighted by it even when she fell off it.  I guess that I will find out about my corner cutting as time goes by. 

Al