BYYB Forums

Full Version: Hello to anyone out there
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I just ordered the plans and dvd set for a Weekender and have the intention of building one.    I have limited experience building boats so when I encounter problems I am sure I will be here to try and find solutions.  I have built a Chesapeake Light Craft Kayak,  a canoe from free plans found on the internet and a small sailboat from free plans I found on the internet.    I have been in a kayak, now, 1 time.  It floated but since it capsized and dunked me, I am not sure if it leaks or the water just came in when it capsized.    The canoe floated fine with no leaking,  a friend was in that.  I still have not ever been in a canoe.    I was living in AZ when I built the small sailboat.  I put it in my backyard while building the kayak.    The sun rotted the wood so I had to destroy it.    I haven't ever been in a sailboat.    LOL    I am hoping to change that with the Weekender.

Tom
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

Well, you can capsize a Weekender too, but you got to try pretty darn hard and she'll have been warning you for some time prior, before she decides to wet your butt. Capsizing in a canoe or kayak is simply a right of passage. Hell, if you didn't, you weren't using it. FWIW, a tarp over the boat, while it awaits your next adventure, will greatly mitigate the damage the sun can do.
Welcome Tom!  I can't wait to see how your Weekend is going to turn out!  I'm sure it will be great Smile

Regards,

Will R.