BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender at lake Vermillion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got back from a three day two night trip to Lake Vermillion in northern Minnesota.  A good friend of mine had offered me some dock space at her place in a quiet protected cove off of Frazier bay.  I have wanted to sail Lake Vermillion for a long time.  The lake is about 20 miles long and is composed of a half a dozen large bays connected by narrow rocky passages.  It is big enough that it can be a real  challenge if the wind kicks up, but it is small enough that it qualifies as protected waters.  To my mind it is ideal for a weekender. 

This year I had concentrated on re-finishing Duckie for her last appearance at the local boat show.  I had only put her in the water one time for a shake down before the show and was in desperate need of more time on the water with her.  So, one day after the show we were on the road north.  I had contacted a marina on the eastern part of the lake and acquired a launch site as well as a place to park where my truck and trail would be protected.  They were very helpful and not expensive at all. 

As I headed out I noticed that I was getting a pretty good push away from the dock.  I rounded an island and headed in the direction I was to go for the rest of the day when I was hit by not just a gust, but a sustained wind around 20 mph dead on my bow.  I hove to and reefed the main, but that wasn't sufficient, so I headed to the nearest lee shore and struck the jib and tightened up the reefed main.  When I stuck my beak back out into the wind, I was still over powered so I struck the main and went on with my good ole Yamaha.  I could see a public launch ramp on a lee shore ahead so I motored up to it and beached the boat intending to wait out the blow.  While I was there I also rigged a downhaul for the jib and tightened everything I could think of.  About 45 minutes later the wind had returned to normal so I ventured out and found the best sailing I had seen in quite some time. 

The wind was WNW and I had to go due west.  This situation gave me a favored tack that allowed me to make some good distance before having to tack.  I could make about 10 degrees off the course I wanted so a couple miles per tack was easy.  As I went along the lake got bigger and the mid afternoon wind got stronger until the sailing became lively.  It was funny because once I got sight of the house I was headed for not more than a couple miles away it took me over an hour to get there. Once I came off the favored tack and headed for the cove, I kept getting headed no matter how far I steered away from the wind.  I fiddled with it until it occurred to me that it was late enough in the day that she might be getting worried, so I motored in and tied up to her dock. 

The next day the wind had disappeared so I went motor cruising to explore the lake.  I don't mind puttering around if that is all I can do, but sailing was the reason I went up there.  Still, time on the water is never wasted so I don't feel cheated by Mother Nature.  The next day was the same, but I let what wind there was push me slowly down the lake while I hid under my parasol. I continued like this until I couldn't stand it anymore and fired up mister Yamaha.  I left the sails up and eventually got a chance to experience motor sailing which I thought was pretty cool. 

I plan to get as many of this kind of trip under Duckies keel as I can this summer until we head for Oklahoma and Texas in October.  I
was prepared to be self sufficient on this trip, but my friends hospitality is not to be missed.  For this kind of civilized cruising I can't think of another boat that I would rather have under me.  They call it a Weekender and this trip was a perfect example of why.

AlÂ