BYYB Forums

Full Version: my triad build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I'm down to the boom and spar and then rigging and registration for my Triad.  First boat, never sailed, gotta try it before I die.  I made a video of my pictures on youtube.  I have more pictures since then but have since discovered you can't update a video on youtube.  So I'll wait until I'm completely done before I post an update.

http://youtu.be/htZdkwusj1E
Bam!  Out of nowhere an almost completed Triad!  Very nice work too.
thanks, I did the sail today but was too tired to try and raise it by the end of the day.  Tomorrow I'll get the sail raised, install the rest of the rigging and the rudderbox stuff.  I built a bookcase once but I've never tried anything like this before.  Slowly I'm getting my living room back and I use the tools one last time.
final video: I mail the paperwork to the state tomorrow...

http://youtu.be/htZdkwusj1E
Fantastic! I loved the video. Please make another one when you launch the boat. I have the plans for a Triad in my basement; I mean to build one some day.
I have a lot of people who want to come see the boat when it's launched.  I'm sure there will be plenty of video.  Of course the reservoir I'm launching in is filled with prehistoric alligators so if it doesn't float I may not make it back to post anything Smile

I mailed the application for registration and hull number to the state dept of natural resources today.  I have no idea how long that will take. 

Today was the first day since March I actually didn't have anything to do on the boat.  I wandered aimlessly Smile

I just crunched the numbers for the money I spent building this boat.  My original budget was $2500, which was the money I got from selling a 9 year old car I didn't need anymore.  The total of costs include replacement of some material after I screwed up, lots of tools I didn't have (and didn't need but I like more tools), a trailer and boat registration fees.

I didn't detail every single item but listed somethings simply as hardware (eye bolts and pulleys) and screws (all sizes) paint and materials as paint etc.  The costs also include things like PFD's, store bought oars, trailer, battery box with built in circuit breakers, trolling motor, extra rope and so forth.  The grand total came in about $3600 give or take a few dollars.

I could have done everything within the original budget if I omitted all the tools and trailer and motor and battery etc.  All in all I'm pleased but I could have purchased a much larger boat off craigslist for less.  But then I wouldn't have had the fun of three months of sawdust and joy. Smile

I called the DNR to check on status of registration, "we are swamped and understaffed, please wait a couple more weeks".  Wed was three weeks since I mailed the paperwork.
DNR found my paperwork.  They wanted color photos, a short statement on the building process and receipts for materials.  Supposedly they will process the registration tomorrow.  Tomorrow will have been six weeks since I mailed them the forms and my check.
Each state is different and the ones with lots of boats and water around willhave a more streamlined process.
YEA!  registration and title along with a hull number came in the mail today.  6 weeks and three days since I mailed it in.  I'll be in the water before the end of next week Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9