BYYB Forums

Full Version: sharpie anchor slap!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

ok who has come up with a way to sleep aboard a Vacationer (or equivalent) and actually get some sleep!!
I mean of course being at anchor and having even the slightest little chop gets magnified through the hull as a VERY loud slap, slap...like water drip torture!!
Makes me glad I'm building a Skipjack instead.

I've seen photos of Weekenders in which both the interior floor and walls have carpet glued down.  I'd never put carpet in any boat, but maybe it help with the noise.
I actually enjoy the water sounds that Duckie makes at anchor.  But then I am used to sleeping on a diesel locomotive.  Anyway, the best bet is to anchor in a quiet lagoon where there is no wave action to speak of.  I bet though, that if you spend a few nights in a row on your boat you will end up sleeping just fine.  Sometimes, I will haul the boat up to the lake in the evening just to spend the night on the water.  Man, that is some fine sleeping.  Having an open air breakfast in the morning is pretty fine too. 

I'm willing to bet that if you keep with it, it will come to you.

Al
You just need to get used to it. I don't find it's the steady "gloop, gloop" sound that keeps me awake, it's the idea that the anchor is dragging. It never is, but I always sleep with one eye open anyway.
Fair play guys...yes I know I should just harden up and let it turn into a soothing lullaby!
I like this picture a lot.  It looks like you are out on a fairly light wind day and moving along pretty well.  At the Lake Pepin messabout, all of us weekender sailors were left behind by a vacationer on a very light wind morning.  Also, as the wind piped up that vacationer just kept chugging along standing nice and upright while we were contemplating tucking in a reef.  Nobody wanted to be the first, so none of us did in the end.  One of these days I'm going to have to take the helm of one of those just for grins.

Al 
you're right, right from the first sail I was impressed at how she made way in a light breeze.  She also stands up well in a breeze - so far have had over 6knots out of her as measured by gps; that was fun!

I recently bought myself a little hand held annonometer (sp??) and plan to do a little data collection on hull speed, vs wind speed on different tacks etc.  Have already done some rough tacking angle measurements and reckon she will sail at about 50 degrees to the wind (100 tack to tack).

cheers
Rig a bridle for your anchor and place the boat to take the on coming flow on the quarter, instead of bow on. This as well as getting the bow buried a bit will help, but flat bottoms are well loved (or hated) for this trait.

The bridle will typically rig from a bow cleat to a midship or even an aft cleat and the anchor rode is tied to it, once you decide where she likes to lay, with the least amount of noise.
Thanks Paul....sounds very much worth a try.  Stand by for the verdict in the next month or so.
Cheers