BYYB Forums

Full Version: First sail of the year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got to go sailing for the first time this year yesterday even though it was in my sailing canoe.  It was the opening day of fishing season and the landing was packed.  It was also 42 degrees with a nice 10 mph wind off Lake Superior.  The reason I was able to go out was I bought a new dry suit this spring.  With the water temp hovering around in the upper 30's, it would have been suicidal to go without it.  I did go swimming in Lake Superior last week to test it out and found out that it isn't  that easy to swim in it.  The water temp was just above freezing so about 15 to 20 minutes was all my uncovered hands and feet could take.  Having that dry suit will expand my sailing season by at least a couple months. 

I had made a new sail for the canoe with an additional 6 square feet of area.  I think I have it about right.  Sailing a balanced lug rig has been challenging for me.  So far I haven't been able to get it to go to weather worth a darn.  The new sail went a long way to solving that.  I find that a balanced lug is less complicated to handle on the water, but so far I can't say that it sails as well as my gaff rigged sloop.  It seems to me that my weekender points higher even though the canoe has that giant lee board digging three feet into the water.   

Take it for what it is worth but between the three very different sail boats that I use, I have come to appreciate the sailing qualities of my weekender more all the time.  The CP 16 is a steady, confidence inspiring boat that will certainly see its fair share of use, while the canoe is by far the easiest to take out for a day sail.  But the weekender is by far the most comfortable and all around easiest to keep of the three as well as the most satisfying to sail. 

I've only been sailing for 4 years now.  I wonder what I'll think in another 4.

Al