BYYB Forums

Full Version: A better mast hoop attachment . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In my continuous effort to make things harder and more complicated, I've dreamed up a new mast hoop an it's attachment.

I'm not a mast hoop fan, but some like them and having the need to make some currently, I thought there has to be a better way. In the image you'll see a hoop, but open at the back, where the sail would normally tie on. I picture this being PVC, heat bent to shape, but on 3" or larger masts, I'll bet I could bend some oak (laminate thin slices) into this shape too. This one is 4" around, 1/8" thick and 1" tall, with a 1/2" hole.

The sail slides into the gap at each crinkle (what most call a grommet), aligning the hole in the grommet and the hoop. Next comes the home made insert, which is simply a hunk of HDPE turned and sawn to the shape shown. The idea is to have a plug like thing go through the hoop, grommet and the other side and click into place. You'd just pinch the one end and push the insert back through to release the hoop. This means not having to pull the mast to get the hoops off and the sail can be removed and put back on, without the need to tie each hoop.

At first I was thinking a barrel bolt and button head receiver sort of deal, but trying to decrease the pieces, I came up with this instead. So, what's 'ya think?
I like it.  Fasteners remind me of the things you use to attach automotive trim panels.  Bet you could find some that would work?
It looks great and it is what I'm looking for.
My contribution to improve this idea is to make hoops flattening and bending by the hot-gun electric PVC pipes (on the Net many people use this way to build home made bows). In this way hoops can be thick, but with rounded edges.
Fasteners seems to be of a very common design in many house and industrial applications, the main problem is to find them in the right dimension and in a marine grade resin. The first who find a compatible application should inform everybody about.

Gianluigi
I like it,tie'n all those hoops up makes me ill thinkin about it.but for simplicity I still like the zip tie idea,they come in all sizes and some are even reusable Smile
. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X9NGZCx416o this is how I did my mast hoops.looks nice and traditional and a lot kinder to the vanished mast then plastic or wood
I'm not much on gaskets (what Lyle has) or hoops. They don't set reliably, they space the luff well aft of the mast, they tend to bind, hoops don't stack well so a good looking flake isn't possible, they're hard on the mast and make too much racket. Tracks are the ticket, but sometimes you just have to do what the commission requires.
I'd agree the functionality and sail efficiency of the hoops/gaskets are no match next to a track I just love the way look. I went to the marina in Toronto a few months ago and seen that on the empire sandy. Really liked it. Still haven't put them to use.now you've got me doubting myself hahaha. Tell me it was at least an improvment from my pvc hoops.
I've been using my Dutch laced 12mm rope system on my Vacationer, Okahu,
and it's been fine so far; simple and functional.

Cheers
Gerrard