BYYB Forums

Full Version: Bushfire Bob (back from hibernation)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Bob_Burgess

Well just to let everyone know I didn’t fall off the face of the earth, but have been extremely swamped at work and home etc. etc. (enough excuses).

To get everything in back in order I need HELP !!!
I can sign on in http://byyb.org/phpBB2
I cannot sign in http://byyb.org/pn761/index.php the home page I think.
I tried several times but always get the “cookies must be enabled” could be just me, it use to work before the crash or maybe I am just not registered properly ?

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway quick update on my weekender, I hacked of the steering wheel, took out all the pulleys etc. and built tiller on the existing rudder box. The tiller is made up of axe handle and some wood from the kitchen cupboards I removed. Still need to varnish and clean-up.
I will post a picture once I get someone in my family to show me how to reduce the size of the pictures in the camera. Picture I took is 1.2 MB to much for the photo gallery.
Steering wheel was the best looking part of the boat, but it seemed to be a bit of a weak link in my sailing abilty. The tiller hopefully will work great.

The boom used to be tied down to the stern by the taffrail but now I have remove the pulley and spring due to the fact I have a tiller handle there now.
Does anyone have a picture of how you hold down the boom with a tiller?

Thanks

Bushfire Bob
You only need to sign in on the forum board. Once you sign in here you can go back there and you will be signed on.

Welcome back

Keith
Hey Bob. Welcome back.
Nice to hear from you again Bob.
Bob welcome back and etc. As for the boom prob try our two new additiones to the form for advice. The Breeze with Paul Riccelli and or Shop tips jigs & modificitations. See we haven't been asleep while you were gone. As Mark Twan once said "We have made great progress in your absence" Bud. :wink: Glad your back
Glad to see you back online Bob. Hopefully you'll have your boat ready in time for sailstice - http://www.summersailstice.com/ I believe that the Connestoga Lake sailing club is going to have a cruise night then. I thought I'd show up with my new cannon :-D

For your mainsheet arrangement you have two choices - one would be to mount a block right at the pivot point of the tiller - depending on how you run your mainsheet this can allow you to hold the tiller and the main sheet in the same hand.

Since I'm intending on having a hatch on the top of the lazrette, I can't use the block at that location either. I found a "4 part sheet" arrangement on the bottom of Frank Hagan's page that I was thinking of using instead http://users2.ev1.net/~fshagan/gaffshet.htm It could well work for you too.
Welcome Back!
Good to know you're still alive and kicking. Glad to have you back now get to work.

Bob_Burgess

Thanks for the warm welcome back Big Grin

Keith, signed in and out like you suggested and everything seems to be working fine. :oops:

Andrew, the main sheet arrangement for holding the boom, the link you sent is perfect Big Grin. I am going to try the "four part sheet without traveler"
drawing on page two.
Summersailstice at Connestoga Lake would be worth it just to see you firing off your cannon and then being haul away by the local police force :lol: :lol: :lol: I will have to check out this out and let you know. sure does sound like a good plan.

I am planning my shake down sail on Monday May 1st at Connestoga Lake. Hopefully I be ready to go, just need to finish my new steering and attach all the rigging etc.

The bottom of my keel took a major beating last trip out last year. She is mangled up quite badly. Boat launch was washed out half way out and after a 3-day trip I could not pull the boat out of the water. Trailer wheels drop right down and everytime I got the boat part way up the ramp I would smoke the tires on my truck. Sad The boat keel kept smashing on the trailer bottom and then when I backed up to take a another run at it boat would float off the rail and then smash up the keel again & again as I attemped pull out again. I was all by myself and was about to give up when two old timers pulled up in a beat up Ford truck and gave me a hand (actually they sat in the truck bed) and out the boat came Confusedhock:
The moral of the tale is you might want to add some extra protection to the bottom of the keel while your in the building stage. My keel has taken the worst of wear on any part of the boat. Adding some protection to the bottom of mine is on my to do list.

Bushfire Bob
Hey Bob, you're back. Good to hear from you.

I used that arrangement last season, and while it worked, I found that since there was all that rope going back and forth at the transom, it tangled in my motor on gybes, and if I wasn't careful, even when I was tacking. My solution last summer was to pull the ol' electric off the mount and stuff it in the cabin when I was sailing. It worked, but was a pain.

This summer I'm planning to either build a metal traveler for a pulley to slide along, or use a rope traveler. Same basic effect, but much less rope to let out or haul in, and hopefully I won't get it caught on the motor anymore.

Of course, if it still catches, the contingency plan is to make a pair of mounts on the side deck for the motor to rest on and get secured to so it's closer at hand, easier to stow and retrieve.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. I wouldn't take me to seriously, as I've had terrible luck keeping seaworthy anyway, so my water experience is minimal.

By the way, are you able to attend the Pymatuning messabout/cabbs week get together? It's just outside of Jamestown, PA, and runs from the weekend of June 17-25 this year. I'll be there for all but the 17th. I just hope I get the boat back together in time. Darn paint curing times. Wink
Pages: 1 2