BYYB Forums

Full Version: Fall Sail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been a great sailing season here in Nova Scotia.  Just wanted to share a video from yesterday as we sailed San Souci, our Weekender through Hell's Rackets to get from Stonehurst on the coast to the wharf in Mahone Bay, a distance of 17 kilometres.  hell's Rackets is a maze of reefs but the Weekender got through it all without touching.  Took careful watching for those tricky ones just below the surface.  Once through these it was good open water sailing the rest of the way.  Our rig is a balanced english lug with a small jib on a roller.  This was the first test of a "drifter" we made for light wind and it  (though not a perfect cut job) really worked well off the wind.  You can see it near the film end.  It is experimental and will be made better over the winter months.  Here is the link, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIuS50Vj8aI

Ryerson
Boy, that is some skinny water.  Were you able to keep the rudder down the whole way?  It is hard to tell if that is seaweed or coral that is just clear of the surface.  Not many boats besides a weekender could navigate water like that.  And what a beautiful area.  I have been thinking of touring out that way next summer in my mini motorhome.  To bad it can't pull my sailboat. 

Al
If you come this way Al, stop and say hi.  There could be a sail in it for you Smile  The rudder only hit once but just popped up enough to clear.  I pushed it back down as soon as I got clear there.  The seaweed is called Rock Weed, and for a reason.  It has air sacs that allow it to float above the bottom it attaches and grows from, usually a rock.  So we stay clear of that, though at higher tide it can be deep enough for us to sail over.