BYYB Forums

Full Version: Seeking tips for retroactive stringer installation.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey ya'll.  The peapod Badger is holding up well and doing a fine job of puttering around East Tennessee lakes.  Only problem is that the only person that is comfortable riding in the stern sheets is my 4 year old daughter.  Everyone with an adult sized backside is quite cramped.  Therefore, I plan on extending the seat out another 12 inches or so, and incorporating some storage underneath, raised up to avoid the bilge water, and supported by full-boat-length stringers on each side.  In the process, I'm probably going to do something similar up front to give some more spots to put the things that are currently rolling around my feet and inhibiting my impeccable rowing  Wink
Plus that will give the innumerable munchkins that are invading my family a place to scramble around and play pirate up front, while also not impeding said rowing prowess. 

My question is this, does anyone have any recommendations for dealing with floppy 14 foot 1x2ish pieces of pine and wrestling them into  straight, parallel horizontal lines inside a boat that's already been built, gooed, and painted?  I kind of understand the general process, I'm mostly looking for tips on making this easier and avoiding any gotchas. 

Thanks in advance!

Will

Having trouble picturing your idea, can you post a sketch? My first thought is a laser level, but I'm not sure I understand your problem.
Sorry for the delayed reply.  I answered my own question with the help of a few books, then ran out of spare time to do anything about it.  So, it's a moot point.  Will post pics when I can get back to the project.  Smile