BYYB Forums

Full Version: Bottom paint?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm planning to bring my Weekender to N.C. this winter and leave it in the water for about 6 weeks. Can I get away with out using bottom paint? All it has now is regular outdoor paint over epoxy and fiberglass.
I forgot to mention this will be salt water on Pamlico Sound.
Nope, 6 weeks will cause the paint to lift and you'll have a modest amount of marine growth too. You can just let this happen and repaint when you pull her out or you can put an anti fouling bottom paint on her. Given the cost of bottom paints, I might be inclined to just say screw it and let the paint get killed in the 6 week stay, then repaint with plain old house paint when you're home again.

Another consideration is what will happen to your keel and bottom planking once saturated. If all is 'glassed and there's no breaches in the sheathing, you'll be fine. If not, you'll have to let her dry out for some time, before you can repaint the bottom. Lastly, how big a bilge pump do you have? Unattended boats have a nasty habit of sinking, from storms and lots of rain. Most little bilge pumps can't keep up with a sudden thunderstorm or a few days of continuous rain, but if the boat doesn't sink and the battery is above the water, it'll eventually pump out what came in, assuming the pickup doesn't get blocked and the impeller doesn't seize up (both common problems). Most use two pumps, to help in this regard.
I  built the hull for a pd racer as a demonstration at our local boat show.  I didn't put a ton of time or money into it and I don't think I will.  I am at the point of painting the outside of the hull, and after reading Paul's suggestion and another article I read on line, I am painting it with high gloss acrylic latex enamel.  I just rolled out the first coat and it looks pretty good.  If this stuff works out I think I will also paint the keel and bottom of my weekender with it as well as my sailing canoe.  I will report from time to time on how well it holds up.

Al
(08-21-2014, 01:32 AM)Paul Riccelli PE,NA link Wrote: [ -> ][...]
. Lastly, how big a bilge pump do you have? Unattended boats have a nasty habit of sinking, from storms and lots of rain. Most little bilge pumps can't keep up with a sudden thunderstorm or a few days of continuous rain, but if the boat doesn't sink and the battery is above the water, it'll eventually pump out what came in, assuming the pickup doesn't get blocked and the impeller doesn't seize up (both common problems). Most use two pumps, to help in this regard.

I let my Weekender at the dock since the beginning of last summer (in  lake water). Rain/storm water in 2-3 days of bad weather reach 6 buckets in the cockpit and in the cabin. Nevertheless the best and cheapest solution is not a pump, but a cover sheet from the boom to sides. I ensure you that is enough to reduce rain water to a couple of cm in the cockpit and two small ponds on the seats (in several weeks). Just remember to tie weight at sides (3 small bottles filled with sand or stones per side are enough) and to bore some drain holes in the sides at deck level, where usually water tends to remain.

Gianluigi