BYYB Forums

Full Version: wooden embroidery hoops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
im making some sail / mast changes, has anyone ever tried those wooden embroidery hoops on thier mast?
Way too weak, but you can try them. The worst thing that will happen is they'll break.
Bob:  What are you using for mast hoops now?  I use plumbing PVC pipe (big stuff), cut into rings, with the sharp edges rounded over on my router table.  Strong, reliable and looks great in contrast to the darker mast. 

Dave

Yah, I agree with Paul,

However, if you epoxy them together assuming that they are the kind that fit snuggly inside one another, they might be okay,  but maybe not.  I did away with my hoops mostly because they were a pain to lace to the sail, and they got caught on everything.  I am in the middle of mid-summer rigging repairs and improvements hell.  I am running the jib halyard to the cockpit which was long overdue, and fixing everything that is loose of broken.  Yesterday I re-laced the main with somewhat larger and stiffer line and now the sail drops like a brick.  I also made it so that when the line stretches, which this particular line will do, I can adjust the slack out of it without taking anything apart.  Anyway, I have a complete set of plastic weekender hoops that I am sure I will never use again, free of charge.

Let me know if you want them and we can work something out.

Al

Al:  We struggled with the jib since "Molly" was built.  Last week, after a Saturday afternoon outing, and much cursing, the Admiral and I agreed that a jib halyard in the cockpit was, like a topping lift, a necessity.  It's my next prooject.

Dave
i currently lace the sail to the mast, building a new mast and just thought the hops might be an intersting idea. the pvc idea is a good one, looking at options
I'm an idiot.  I am making a wooden cheek block for the mast to turn the halyard toward a fair lead on the cabin roof.  I had it all laminated up and the proper angle built in when I ripped off the wrong side of the thing and now I have to start all over again.  That in a nutshell is how I rig a boat.  I am also filling the gap in the mast at the hinge tabernacle with a thin slice of hardwood.  I have had to weld the tabs in the heavy hinge I use because it just keeps loosening up under sail.  Maybe when I build that birds mouth mast I will look at a different king of tabernacle.  And the beat goes on. 

Boy, Dave, you sure missed some awesome sailing at Pepin this year.  The wind was out of the south and steady at ten building to maybe thirteen, but the water was real bouncy.  I guess it was because of a very long fetch.  It made for some interesting sailing.  It seems that this year that is the way it has been.  It is either just about time to reef or way past that and I take out the CP 16.  No complaints here.

Al
Al:  You built the tabernacle per the plans, right?  I used Ryerson Clark's idea for my tabernacle and I think it is so strong that nothing will ever compromise it.  You could retro-fit!

Dave
Yah, I used a big ole strap hinge that should have been plenty strong enough.  I like the plans' simplicity, and now that I have welded up the tabs, it should stay put.  This winter I am going to do some reshaping of my current mast to lighten it up a bit.  I'm not unhappy with it, but I am looking for something to do. 

Al
So, Dave,

I tested the new halyard for the head sail last time I went sailing and now I can't imagine what took me so long to do it.  Instead of having to leave the helm and crawl forward to undo a knot, a simple flick of the wrist and down she comes.  It really simplified sailing away from the dock.  I am not satisfied with the amount of friction in my current setup, so this winter I will smooth that out, but like the topping lift lazy jack I made, it is a must have.

Al
Pages: 1 2