BYYB Forums

Full Version: Highly modified weekender
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's one for ya,

There is a guy on utube with a channel that displays his highly modified weekender.  The channel is listed as shkibervl.  I'm guessing that the guy is either Russian or Ukrainian.  This guy didn't mess around.  He's got two reefs on the main, a roller furled headsail, what looks like a drogue ready to deploy, a hood over the main hatch, anchor mounted on the stem, extra cabin room, bulwarks forward that you wouldn't believe, a keel add on that gives him about six more inches of draft,  and I don't know what all.  One of the videos shows him out on what I think is the black sea.  It looks like he likes rougher conditions. 

Check it out and see what you think.

Al
Every time I watch those vids I see something new.  I was wrong about the drogue, what I see is a stay sail flaked on the fore deck.  I also noticed that he has a vang on the main.  That is the first one  I've seen and I wonder if it is effective.  Some of the vids show him out under stay sail and main and some show him out under main alone.  I like the way he mounted the cam cleats for his jib sheets.  By mounting them on the main bulkhead he can force the line down into the cleat without lifting the mounting up or using a fairlead. 

Al
Al:  Can you post a link? I did a search based on "shkibervl" and nothing came up.

Dave
Try it again Dave,

I just entered shkipervl in the search box and got them all.  I would post a link, but I am not sure about how to do that.

Al
Interesting videos, those that are about sailing. In a few of them there is a small fleet of 3 boats, the weekender is clearly the largest of them. But even the small ones have a half-cabin. Nice to see the difference from that 4-video set where the boat gets named - or at least a speech and bubbly wine poured over it), to some of the later videos with many improvements.
Yeah, I liked the little ones too.  I would like to find the plans for them.  One of the vids shows them hauling the weekender out of the water to put in storage.  That one is the one that shows the keel modification.  One of the vids shows him at anchor in the middle of the lake waiting out a quick storm.  It shows the inside of his enlarged cabin pretty well.  After seeing that, I don't think I would go to the bother to widen the cabin like he did.  The extra shelf space is nice, but I like to be able to step on the side deck at least a little when going forward.  For me though, the best part is seeing how he laid out his lines and rigging in general.

Al