BYYB Forums

Full Version: Saturday Sail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had the Saralee out for the first sail of the season this weekend. I am going to remame her the TANGLE MARU. I have played with the lines etc while fooling with the top mast and managed to foul the gaff halyard with the topping lift, ovehaul the mainsheet, gouge the rub rail on a dock bolt, and break the tip of the foresprit. Not a bad days work I'd say. The sprit was temporary anyway and I expected it to break. I had forgotton to put the knot back in the main sheet and had rerigged the topping lift at the last minute to a shorter piece of chain. The winds were supposed to be 14 max and were gusting to 20 or better by noon. The bay was choppy as hell and every idiot with a powerboat was under the bridge and running full speed in the channel. I am sun and wind burnt, and still tired tonight. But, I did get to go sailing and for a season shakedown it wasn't all that that bad. It sure beat mowing the lawn! I wonder what the rich folks did this weekend, the ones not on the power cruisers and 90 mph shrimpers. :lol:

Brian R Walters

What is it they say, "Even a bad day on the water is better than...". I just went out flyfishing again this weekend. Haven't done it since a shoulder injury over a year ago. Similar comedy !!
Still a great day though.
My vessel is still in a 3 foot snowbank :mrgreen:.Glad to hear that the water is soft, and sailing is good in your parts, inspite of the snags.

I plan to modify my rigging, and maybe install a furling jib. I may have an equally eventfull first sail of the season, later next month.

Greg
Oh the Joy! :lol:

Went down to the lakes about noon today, the ice looks pretty rotten. 8)

I have my fingers and toes crossed for an early thaw.

I then went and ented a 10x20 storage unit to clear out my garage. Between my sons, my moms and my wifes stuff, my stuffs starting to feel crowded :lol:

Craig, great day, for a few broadsides. :twisted: And that's what rub rails are for. I still haven't fixed the worn spot on mine where the Wolf broke loose during a storm and went dock bashing. Poor dock :wink:

Sounds like you had a good wind for a sail and perhaps a little reefing in too.
I never went to the reef Mike but I did play with the peak a bit. It really does help control the boat to drop it just a tad. In a blow it flogs the hell out of the upper sail though.
My dang computer has a glitch, for several days now it blinks off at the most awkward times and I loose posts. GRRRR! Got to be a loose connection some where. Maybe I should check the battery back up after this post.

Craig,

Your mention of dropping the peak, caused me to remember the few times that I did not have the best of control of my Vacationer. Running down wind, the wind picks up and turns into a nasty blow. Heck, what control?

I have not ran my main or peak halyard to the cockpit yet, something I really want to do this season. Because....

This is probably when I have had my Vacationer at her top speed, I mean she is hauling booty. Stupid me, did not anticipate the wind coming up and I have not taken in a reef. To angle off of the wind puts me broadside and as close to going over on her side as I have ever been. Water up to the cabin’s edge and running along my high combing, before enough wind spills from the sail. I once even dragged the boom down in the water. That was the time, I was trying to avoid a jet skier that came dashing out from behind an island, I kind of close hanger’ed him off his jet ski. Lucky I didn’t kill him.

Being able to drop the peak in an emergency, sounds like a good way to drop some speed quickly and get control of the boat. Time to make some fair leads and buy some clam cleats.

PS I just looked out the window, snowing again, this is just wrong. Sad
Nah Mike the way the wind is blowing down here it must just be white sand. Smile
Quote:.... I kind of close hanger’ed him off his jet ski. Lucky I didn’t kill him....

That's it, I'm extending the bowsprit!! Tongue Tongue Tongue
Damn Craig.... remind me not go up in an air plane with you. :lol: Crashed the camper into something and ripped off the new canvas, numerous casualities to the SaraLee on this year's maiden voyage. YIKES! Do your closest pals call you "Loose Cannon"?

Just yanking your sheets a bit, keep on keeping on. :wink:
Some days are like that Angie and some are just. Saralee sail this year was going to be better! The boat is already fixed and the RV is in the shop. Iwill be ready for the BEER and the Hartwell trip! Come hell or high water!!! 8)
Pages: 1 2