BYYB Forums

Full Version: gangway
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
now I show my way to reach my Weekender from the pier.
As all you know, the bowsprit is one of the more fascinating parts of our yachts, but it causes also a serious access problem from a pier mooring.
An aft docking is not possible, because near the pier the water is not deep enough for the rudder and if I lift it up I have to dock even farer or I risk to touch the wall and to brake the blade.
I've been therefore forced to pass through boats nearby, but first I consider this very unpleasant, then ,when one of my neighbours is out (ore one of the boats near them) this passage become difficult or impossible, because all the boats float far each other.

I decided to build the gangway in the photos, taking advantage of a step in the pier wall that normally is above water level (I sail on a lake that obviously has no tides, but during the year there is a normal excursion of about 80 cm).  I considered also important that it could be lifted up when unused, in order to avoid collisions with my and my neighbour boats.
When I tested it I realized that, as expected,  the way to the boat was really comfortable, but surprisingly the way to the pier was not comfortable at all. I was literally forced to climb up and down from the pier pavement to reach the way level!.

My consequent improve has therefore been the folding two step stair you can see.
The final version in the pictures has been successfully used for a whole season,  procuring me admiration and compliments from all the marina users.
Gianluigi
Very clever indeed, especially the way the steps fold down. Nice job . . .