BYYB Forums

Full Version: New mainsail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
My tarpaulin sail set was definitely destroyed after 3-4 seasons of sun and ice. The mainsail was completely ripped off grommets from mid height to gaff and lots of duct tape was used for reparations around the trailing edge since last year.
Many fellows promised my some used sails to modify, but finally I had only a jib, a little bit larger, but suitable.

I decided to cut costs and make another time a sail by my own. A Dacron sail was too complicated, because forced me to find a sewing machine and to spend some time to learn the free software and to design it. So I had to spend time and money for a home made solution.
I decided therefore for the Polytarp solution, also because:
1. The fabric is for sure better of the tarpaulin I used. I expect hence other 4 seasons of life at least.
2. They have developed a construction way that gives a profile to the sails, even if assembled from a single sheet.
3. They have already drawn sail set for Weekender, so no engineering time to spend, but I had only to read instructions.

The result is great I really feel that now I have a real sail. 
Especially in tacking I immediatelly see a big difference, I learned to tack using the boat inertia: good speed, a fast rudder action combined with an energical main sheet pull. When wind was too poor sometime I didn't reach enough speed, with strong wind combined with waves sometime I reached a dead point and the boat moved backward with rudder command inversion.
Now tacking is really easy, even with a low breeze the boat turn without and effort from me. Probably also upwind performances are improved.

I have only had a problem with the sail height. The new design and the fat in the shape result in more sail raising, compared to my previous. So my gaff stopped against shrouds (that in my construction are fixed also higher than normal, in the front side of the eyebolt use for gaff control). I've been forced to modify the gaff changing the thick wooden arms with two thin metal plates and I'm not sure if this problem is completely solved. My advice is to avoid these problems cutting the sail at least 10 cm shorter at the top.

My only consideration is if this design is so positive, why is not adopted as standard in the Weekender Guide for the tarpaulin? To save a couple of lines of grommets?
I read many Weekender new owners complaining for the poor upwind performances and for difficulties in tacking, most of these problem would be reduced simply changing the basic tarpaulin sail design, without increasing its construction!

Gianluigi

P.S. If someone thinks I’m paid by Polysail International, I inform you that I’ve not bought any kit or any tarp from them. It was too expensive to import it in Italy and I bought from my usual supplier an equivalent product, called Lankotek, made in Germany or in Holland.
(08-24-2013, 09:33 AM)Gianluigi_Iafrate link Wrote: [ -> ]My only consideration is if this design is so positive, why is not adopted as standard in the Weekender Guide for the tarpaulin?

Greetings Gianluigi,

Most likely, it is just a matter of history. The original Weekender Plans were drawn up in 1981. The revised Weekender "II" plans (minus the centerboard) were drawn up in 1994. PolySails International was found in 1996, two years after the plans were last modified.

If you like the performance difference between the home made tarp option and the PolySails, then you can get another similar increase by purchasing real sails from a real sail maker.

Stevenson Projects sells real sails from Rolly Tasker ... http://www.stevproj.com/WkndrSls.html

But you can also get them from any sail maker willing to make custom sails, like Duckworks Boatbuilder Supplies, Ulta, Amen sails, and Douglas Fowler.

Cheers,
Tom
PolySail.com has been a big boost to home built sailors for about 20 years, but in all honesty, they truly suck, compared to a real sail. It is a quick way of getting on the water, but even the best shaping techniques demonstrated at PolySail can tough a real sail.

A well built poly sail will last a few years, mostly because of the polyethylene they're made out of. Their durability can be improved with paint and other UV coatings, but the very low denier and fiber count makes them pretty weak. This said, good construction (like that used at PolySail) can help their shape and durability a bit.

I've made real sails and since doing so, I've realized sail makers earn every dollar they charge, for a good set. There's a lot of techniques and details that make a good sail, over an average one. At last count I have a few dozen sails of assorted sizes and types. Each, except my test rig pieces, are professionally built and I'm really glad they are, because making a good sail is hard work and about as tedious as set of tasks as you can ask.

I'm glad your new sail is working well for you, though it's likely just an indication of how bad the original sails were. When looking for poly tarp material, pick the stuff with the highest denier and fiber count you can get. Of course weight is an issue (polyethylene is fairly heavy), but you can find 14x14 weave 1,200 denier fabrics in ~6 ounce weights, if you look around. MyTarp.com is a good place to start. Read up on all the building details over at PolySail and try to work clean and neat. With poly tarp sails, the two biggest issues are luff round and seams. Getting the correct luff round will make the sail work well. Too much and it's a bag, too little and it doesn't have much drive. On your boat a 3" round will be a good place to start. The seams are the weak points, so special attention is needed, plus annual maintenance, so they stay together as long as practical. Darts can help shape a bit, but there's other stuff too, like battens and attachment reinforcements, that should be carefully looked at too. I have a set of poly tarp sails with pneumatic battens (yep, inflatable) and they work well, if you can get the pressures right for the wind strength and keep them from leaking. Of course, I don't recommend this type of batten for most, but I was looking to save weight aloft on a racer.
Thanks,

I know perfecly that I own a cheap sail and that a professional sail gives me better performances. My concern is that polytarp and tarpaulin have quite the same cost and to build such sails on straight lines take just the same time on round lines and v-darts, but performances are really different.
I bought my project in 2009, hence this technology was well known and tested. I can understand that a new DVD chapter is expensive, but a couple of sheets in the weekender guide with this upgrade, some mistakes corrections and new tech solutions should not be a so big  and expensive work!

Concerning real sails available, unfortunately I have not found a European manufacturer. Buying them online in USA cost me too much as shipping and as import tax. A local workshop custom made set costs me even more.

Gianluigi